Connect with us

News

EndSARS: One Year After, No Evidence Of Killing At Lekki Tollgate – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has insisted that nobody was killed during last year’s EndSARS protest at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos State.

EndSARS: One Year After, No Evidence Of Killing At Lekki Tollgate - Lai Mohammed

KanyiDaily had reported how Nigerian Soldiers allegedly opened fire on peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki tollgate, killing an unconfirmed number of persons and injuring so many others on Tuesday night, October 20, 2020.

The #EndSARS protest was held across the country against the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigerian Police Force over cases of brutality, illegal arrest, extortion, extra-judicial killings, among others.

During a press conference on the first anniversary of EndSARS on Wednesday, Lai Mohammed claimed that one year after the shooting at Lekki tollgate by soldiers, there is no evidence to show that any protester died.

Mohammed, who described the event at the tollgate as a “phantom massacre”, said that most of the claims of killings were false and misleading as most of those who made the claims of losing people were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations.

READ:  Lekki Shooting: Nobody Has Come Forward To Complain About Losing Someone - Sanwo-Olu

Lai Mohammed Addresses EndSARS Protest Anniversary

He said, “Today marks the first anniversary of the phantom massacre at Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, which was the culmination of an otherwise peaceful protest that was later hijacked by hoodlums.

“At earlier press conferences, I had called the reported massacre at the toll gate the first massacre in the world without blood or bodies.

“One year later, and despite ample opportunities for the families of those allegedly killed and those alleging a massacre to present evidence, there has been none: No bodies, no families, no convincing evidence, nothing. Where are the families of those who were reportedly killed at the toll gate? Did they show up at the Judicial Panel of Inquiry? If not, why?

“Sadly, the champions of a massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate, including Amnesty International and CNN, have continued to shamelessly hold on to their unproven stand. Recall, gentlemen, that after bandying different figures, Amnesty International finally settled at about 12 people killed. On its part, CNN went from 38 people killed to two to just one, after a supposed global exclusive even when the network had no reporter on ground at the Lekki Toll Gate on Oct. 20th 2020.

READ:  Nigerian Zulfat Suara Makes History, Becomes First Muslim Elected Into Nashville Council

“On Monday, the Judicial Panel of Inquiry that was set up by the Lagos State Government after the EndSARS protest wrapped up its sitting. During the sitting, CNN was summoned but it never showed up, thus missing a great opportunity to prove its allegation of massacre at the toll gate. Also, Amnesty International had a golden opportunity to convince the world, but it rather opted for issuing meaningless press releases.

“In its latest attempt to grasp at straws and redeem whatever is left of its battered credibility on this issue, CNN has continued with its baseless report that soldiers shot at protesters. In a report currently running on the network, CNN brazenly and unashamedly held on to its flawed narrative, relying on an unidentified mother whose son was reportedly shot dead at Lekki, but without convincing evidence of who shot him dead. The same CNN that tweeted on Oct. 23rd 2020 that 38 people were shot dead at Lekki is now struggling to convince the world that one boy was killed at Lekki. What a shame!”

“With the preponderance of evidence against any massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate on Oct. 20th 2020, we are once again reiterating what we said one year ago, that the military did not shoot at protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on Oct. 20th 2020, and there was no massacre at the toll gate. The only ‘massacre’ recorded was in the social media, hence there were neither bodies nor blood.

“Amnesty International, CNN, a runaway DJ and others like them should apologize for misleading the world that there was a massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate and for portraying the Nigerian military, police and other security agencies in bad light.

“CNN acted unprofessionally by relying on unverified, and possibly-doctored social media videos, as well as other open-source information, to conclude that a massacre took place at the toll gate.”

READ:  Don’t Stop Mosque Prayers, Muslims Are Immuned To Coronavirus – Scholar Tells Nigerian Government

The minister insisted that the military did not shoot at protesters, and that the only shooting “was in the social media, hence there were neither bodies nor blood”.

He said, “The federal government remains proud of the security agencies for acting professionally and showing utmost restraint all through the EndSARS protest and the ensuing violence, an action that saved lives and properties.”

“The six soldiers and 37 policemen who died during the EndSARS protests are human beings with families, even though the Human Rights Organizations and CNN simply ignored their deaths, choosing instead to trumpet a phantom massacre.”

Meanwhile, police have arrested two persons during the ongoing car procession at the #EndSARSAnniversary protest at Lekki tollgate in Lagos State.

READ:  Governor Yahaya Bello Says Politicians Are Using COVID-19 To Play Games With Lives Of Nigerians

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST NEWS

Nigerians Drags Yul Edochie For His ‘Poor’ Mimicking Of Peter Obi In New Movie [Video] Nigerians Drags Yul Edochie For His ‘Poor’ Mimicking Of Peter Obi In New Movie [Video]
Entertainment1 hour ago

Nigerians Drags Yul Edochie For His ‘Poor’ Mimicking Of Peter Obi In New Movie [Video]

Nollywood actor, Yul Edochie has come under fire over his new movie where he mimicked the Labour Party presidential candidate,...

Family Loses Three Children As Building Collapses In Jigawa Due To Heavy Rainfall Family Loses Three Children As Building Collapses In Jigawa Due To Heavy Rainfall
News1 hour ago

Four-Storey Building Collapses In Gwarimpa, One Killed, Five Rescued

A four-storey building under construction has collapsed in Gwarimpa, the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Four-Storey Building Collapse In Gwarimpa Abuja...

I Feel Sympathy For Nigerians, Scarcity Of New Naira Notes Is Hurting Them - Fashola I Feel Sympathy For Nigerians, Scarcity Of New Naira Notes Is Hurting Them - Fashola
News2 hours ago

I Feel Sympathy For Nigerians, Scarcity Of New Naira Notes Is Hurting Them – Fashola

The Minister of Housing and Works, Babatunde Fashola has sympathized with Nigerians over the scarcity of the new Naira notes...

I Wasn't Paid After Acting With Mercy Johnson And Destiny Etiko - Actress Boma Dokubo [Video] I Wasn't Paid After Acting With Mercy Johnson And Destiny Etiko - Actress Boma Dokubo [Video]
Entertainment2 hours ago

I Wasn’t Paid After Acting With Mercy Johnson And Destiny Etiko – Actress Boma Dokubo [Video]

Nollywood actress, Boma Dokubo says has worked on the same movie with her senior colleagues, Mercy Johnson, Destiny Etiko, and...

"I've Over N10m To Buy More Weapons" - Bandits Leader Flaunt Wads Of New Naira Notes [Video] "I've Over N10m To Buy More Weapons" - Bandits Leader Flaunt Wads Of New Naira Notes [Video]
Metro3 hours ago

“I’ve Over N10m To Buy More Weapons” – Bandits Leader Flaunt Wads Of New Naira Notes [Video]

A notorious bandits leader, Kachalla Baleri, has been seen in a viral video flaunting wads of new Naira notes amid...

How My Husband Saved My From Failing Due To My Selfishness - Actress Bimbo Afolayan How My Husband Saved My From Failing Due To My Selfishness - Actress Bimbo Afolayan
Entertainment4 hours ago

How My Husband Saved Me From Failing Due To My Selfishness – Actress Bimbo Afolayan

Nollywood actress, Bimbo Afolayan has narrated how her husband, Okiki Afolayan, saved her from failing due to her selfishness. In...

CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele Says Banks Will Still Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele Says Banks Will Still Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline
News4 hours ago

CBN To Banks: Pay New Naira Notes Over The Counter

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Thursday, directed commercial banks to begin the payment of the new naira notes...

"Don't Come To Lekki, Sango" - Portable Threatens TG Omori "Don't Come To Lekki, Sango" - Portable Threatens TG Omori
Business4 hours ago

“Don’t Come To Lekki, Sango In Lagos” – Portable Threatens TG Omori

Nigerian Street-hop artiste, Portable has issued a warning to a video director and cinematographer, TG Omori. Portable has warned TG...

Tajudeen Olanrewaju Bakare Tajudeen Olanrewaju Bakare
Metro5 hours ago

Lagos Police Find Guns In Ogboni Leader Tajudeen Olanrewaju Bakare’s Home, Declare Him Wanted

The Lagos State Police Command has declared an Ogboni leader, Tajudeen Olanrewaju Bakare wanted. Ogboni Leader Tajudeen Olanrewaju Bakare Declared...

Zlatan Ibile Teams Up With Seyi Vibez To Release New Song, 'Let There Be Light' [Video] Zlatan Ibile Teams Up With Seyi Vibez To Release New Song, 'Let There Be Light' [Video]
Entertainment6 hours ago

Zlatan Ibile Teams Up With Seyi Vibez To Release New Song, ‘Let There Be Light’ [Video]

Rapper and singer, Omoniyi Temidayo Rapheal popularly known as Zlatan Ibile, has once again blessed his fans with a tune....

close