Metro

Officer Killed As Gunmen Attack Police Station In Imo

A policeman simply identified as Ifeanyi has been killed by gunmen who attacked the Umuguma divisional police headquarters in Owerri West Local Government Area of Imo state.

One Officer Killed As Gunmen Attack Police Station In Imo

Gunmen Attack Imo Police Station

A source who pleaded anonymity said the gunmen attacked the police station at about 3 am on Saturday, blowing it up with dynamite and shooting sporadically.

He said the building including cars in the vicinity were razed, adding that “it was really a terrible situation. Please be vigilant and stay secured and safe.”

Another witness, who identified himself as Okechukwu, said residents heard heavy explosives in successions and that one of their brother was killed in the attack.

He said, “Nobody slept here. We were scared to leave our homes, but we knew it was a heavy bombardment. Unfortunately, they killed our brother, Ifeanyi, who was trying to defend the station and his people by extension”.

READ:  Nigerian Soldier Kills Fruit Vendor Who Refused To Give Him Free Bananas In Zamfara

Sources said the attackers overwhelmed the security operatives during the operation which left cars and properties in the police station destroyed.

But Imo police spokesperson, Micheal Abbatam, who confirmed the attack, said no life was lost, and firearms were not carted away by the assailants as claimed by the people.

He said, “yes, there was an incident, but our men repelled them, no life was lost and neither did we lose any firearm. They threw in dynamite which ignited the roof but our men engaged them. No life was lost and no arms was lost.”

The development comes two months after a police inspector was shot dead gunmen who broke into Mgbidi Divisional Police Station in Orsu LGA of Imo State.

READ:  Charly Boy’s Lesbian Daughter, Dewy Oputa Celebrates 3rd Anniversary With Her Partner [Photos]