in

JUST IN: Court Orders INEC To Resume Voter Registration

INEC Ordered To Resume Voter Registration

A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to immediately resume the Continuous Voters Registration until 90 days before the 2023 general elections.

INEC Says 2023 Elections Results Will Be Collated Manually

INEC Ordered To Resume Voter Registration

Justice Inyang Ekwo, in the judgment, also directed INEC to ensure that eligible Nigerians were not deprived of the opportunity to have their voter card for the forthcoming poll.

Justice Ekwo held that it was the constitutional responsibility of the electoral umpire to make adequate provisions for the exercise in accordance with the Nigerian laws.

“The case of the plaintiffs succeeds on merit,” the judge declared.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Anajat Salmat and three others had sued INEC as the sole defendant in a suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1343/2022.

READ:  Lagos Bus Conductor Dragged To Court For Stealing Passenger's ATM Card, Withdrawing Her Money

In the originating summons filed before the court, the plaintiffs argued that INEC cannot stop the CVR contrary to the stipulated provisions of the constitution.

They urged the court to order the electoral umpire to resume the exercise in accordance with the law of the country.

Meanwhile, Kanyi Daily reported that INEC a few days ago, said it will print a total of 187 million ballot papers for the 2023 presidential election.

National Commissioner and Chairman of Information and Voter Education Committee, INEC, Festus Okoye disclosed this at a Roundtable with Bureau Chiefs/ Editors in Abuja.

According to Okoye, 93.5 million ballot papers will be used on February 25, 2023, for the presidential election, and the remaining 93.5 million ballot papers will be for run-off of the presidential election in case there is no clear winner.

READ:  Babangida Speaks On His Days As A Playboy, Reveals What His Wife Said When He Proposed To Her

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

49 Boko Haram Fighters And Two Commanders Surrender To Nigerian Army

49 Boko Haram Fighters And Two Commanders Surrender To Nigerian Army

Argentina thought they had doubled their lead three times before the interval but Messi and Lautaro Martínez -- twice -- were ruled fractionally offside after racing clear of the Saudi defence. Both Martinez's disallowed goals were special, the first a dink over the onrushing Alowais, who was then sold a brilliant dummy for the second after the Inter Milan striker had been sprung again from Messi's pass. Argentina's early penalty came after the referee consulted the pitch-side monitor but will raise further questions about consistent application of the laws at the tournament, given it was a less compelling claim than Harry Maguire's appeal in England's 6-2 win over Iran yesterday. Argentina were dysfunctional and pedestrian in Russia four years ago and here they were just too easily unsettled by a proactive, high-pressing and well-organised Saudi side. By half-time, they had wracked up more offsides, seven, than in the entire 2018 World Cup. Saudi Arabia, who lost captain Salman Al-Faraj to injury in the first half, will now fancy their chances of qualifying from a group containing Mexico and Poland, while the Argentines must lick their wounds and recover from an historic failure.

Saudi Arabia Thrashes Messi-Led Argentina 2-1 At FIFA World Cup 2022 [Highlights]