Categories: News

DSS Raises Alarm, Says ‘Suicide Bombers Planning To Strike During Yuletide Seasons’

The Department of State Services (DSS) has alerted Nigerians about plans by “criminal elements” to carry out series of attacks including suicide bombings during the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

The DSS spokesperson, Dr Peter Afunanya, who disclosed this in a statement on Tuesay, however, assured Nigerians that the agency taking steps to prevent the attacks across the country.

Afunanya said the planned attacks were meant to create a general sense of fear among the people and undermine the government of Nigeria.

“The Department of State Services (DSS) wishes to inform the public about plans by some criminal elements to carry out violent attacks on public places including key and vulnerable points during the yuletide seasons,” the statement read.

“The planned dastardly acts are to be executed through the use of explosives, suicide bombing and other dangerous weapons.

“The objective is to create a general sense of fear among the people and subsequently undermine the Government.

“Against this backdrop, citizens are called upon to be extra vigilant and report strange movements and indeed, all suspicions around them to security and law enforcement agencies.

“On its part, the Service is collaborating with other sister agencies to ensure that adequate measures are put in place for protection of lives and property.”

Afunanya provided emergency response numbers which he asked Nigerians to take advantage of by reporting strange movements to security and law enforcement agencies.

“To further achieve this purpose, the Service has provided these emergency response numbers 08132222105 and 09030002189 for urgent contacts. It is also using this opportunity to unveil its interactive website www.dss.gov.ng for public communication support,” he said.

“Everyone is encouraged to take advantage of these platforms and similar ones provided by related agencies to timely reach and avail them (security agencies) of required information.”

DSS further advised those planning to cause chaos and breach of public peace to desist, saying it would stop at nothing to apprehend and bring them to justice.

KanyiDaily recalls that last year, DSS also raised an alarm that some undesirable groups of people are plotting to cause a major breakdown of law and order in various parts of the country including Abuja.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Nigerians React As Tony Elumelu Corrects Lady For Addressing Him By First Name

Nigerians have shared mixed reactions after a video showed UBA Group Chairman, Tony Elumelu, correcting…

14 minutes ago

“He’s Afraid Of Me” – Doris Ogala Vows To Defeat Alex Otti In Abia Election

Nollywood actress and African Action Congress (AAC) governorship candidate in Abia State, Doris Ogala, has…

15 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Adeleke At Aso Villa After Osun Election Victory

President Bola Tinubu on Thursday met privately with Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke at the…

15 hours ago

Shina Peller To Contest Oyo North Senate Seat Under APM In 2027

Former House of Representatives member Shina Peller has announced his plan to contest for the…

16 hours ago

Hilda Baci Threatens To Sue Seyi Vibez For Alleging ‘Her Food Almost Killed Him’

Nigerian elebrity chef Hilda Baci has threatened to sue singer Seyi Vibez over comments she…

17 hours ago

Okorocha Sues Uzodimma, INEC Over APC Imo West Senatorial Ticket

Former Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha has dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to…

20 hours ago