Categories: News

Dangote Says Cabals Is Still Working Against His Refinery

Aliko Dangote, President of the Dangote Group, has revealed that ‘cabal’ in Nigeria’s oil and gas sector are still working behind the scenes to sabotage the progress of his $20 billion refinery project in Lekki, Lagos.

Speaking at an investor forum in Lagos on May 2, Dangote explained that people who previously profited heavily from government-subsidized fuel imports are not pleased with the refinery’s success.

According to international news outlet “Semafor”, the billionaire said these groups have even supported opposition to the removal of fuel subsidies by the current administration and are trying to prevent the refinery from operating smoothly.

He said, “For a very, very long time, those that have made a lot of money from government-subsidised oil imports into Nigeria were the ones trying to sabotage the $20 billion worth of refinery situated in Lekki, Lagos.” 

He added that “those groups have funded resistance to the Bola Tinubu government’s removal of petrol subsidies and are opposed to the refinery operating easily in the country.” 

Despite the resistance, Dangote expressed confidence that he would overcome the challenges.

He emphasized his commitment to seeing the refinery thrive, saying he’s no stranger to tough battles.

We’re fighting, and the fight is not yet finished. But I have been fighting all my life, and I am ready and 100 percent sure I will win at the end of the day,” he said, per the publication.

The refinery began selling petrol in September 2024, a development that significantly reduced Nigeria’s reliance on imported fuel.

KanyiDaily recalls that Dangote Refinery is set to stop supplying petroleum products to the Nigerian market due to delays in renegotiating the naira-for-crude agreement.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Desmond Elliot Vows To Appeal Outcome Of Surulere APC Primary

Desmond Elliot, who represents Surulere Constituency I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, said…

15 hours ago

Gunmen Abduct Ekiti LG Vice-Chairman Grace Ogunleye

Grace Ogunleye, the vice-chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area, has been kidnapped by gunmen along…

16 hours ago

Oil Subsidy, Exchange Rate Cabals Want Me Dead — President Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu claimed that some powerful people affected by his economic reforms want him…

17 hours ago

“Don’t Post My DM When I Die” – Etinosa Idemudia Warns Colleagues Over Fake Tributes

Nollywood actress Etinosa Idemudia has spoken against the growing habit of celebrities sharing unreplied direct…

17 hours ago

Nigerian Police Officer Apologises After Threatening To Kill Anyone Filming Him On Duty

A police officer has apologised after he was seen in a video threatening to kill…

18 hours ago

Only Foolish People Believe I’m Working For Tinubu – Kwankwaso

Former Kano state governor Rabiu Kwankwaso has denied claims that he is secretly supporting Bola…

20 hours ago