PHOTOSPEAKS

Ondo Monarch Escapes Death As Gunmen Attack Palace, Kills Two Persons Over Land Dispute

The traditional ruler of Isinigbo community in Akure North local government area, Oba Samuel Fadahunsi, has been hospitalised after gunmen suspected to have been hired attacked his palace and set it ablaze.

Oba Fadahunsi, who is said to be 100 years old, was said to have been trapped inside the inferno but was rescued by his subjects after the gunmen were chased away.

Isinigbo and neighbouring Ude community have been at loggerheads over a land disputes, which was said to have led to a series of litigation.

Last week, youths from Isinigbo in protest over the destruction of their houses stormed the palace of the traditional ruler of Ude, Sunday Boboye, the Ajagun of Ude, and set it ablaze.

Oba Boboye fled for safety and another attack was reportedly carried out on him when he returned and he said he scaled the fence to escape being killed.

In an interview, Oba Boboye said he secured a court judgement in 2017 that a large portion of land sold by Isinigbo belonged to him.

He said all efforts to call the new buyers for negotiation failed as they offered to pay N100,000 per plot against the N600,000 he demanded.

But Secretary of Isinigbo, Adeleye Rotimi, said they didn’t take seriously the threat of an attack until the gunmen used another route to attack the community.

Rotimi disclosed that Oba Fadahunsi was responding to treatment at an undisclosed hospital. He also denied the allegation of offering to pay N100, 000 to Oba Boboye to allow them to remain in their houses.

Meanwhile, two persons who said they hailed from Kogi State have been arrested by men of the 32 Artillery Brigade Owena Cantonment over the dispute between Ude and Isinigbo.

The suspects identified as Fatai Ali, 25 and Onu Adejo, 27, were caught with live ammunition and confessed that they were hired to come to Ondo State.

They have been handed over to the Ondo State Police for further investigation.

KanyiDaily had also reported how Oluwo of Iwo threatened to destroy the Agbowu of Ogbagba whom he had earlier assaulted during the peace meeting to resolve a prolonged land dispute in Osun State.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Nyesom Wike Orders Demolition Of Houses Blocking Waterways In Abuja

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses…

1 hour ago

Wande Coal Slams Davido Over Remarks About Their Unreleased Collaboration, “Come My Way”

Nigerian singer Wande Coal has reacted to Davido’s comments about their unreleased collaboration on the…

2 hours ago

DSS Invites Ekiti Monarch For Demanding Chair Governor Oyebanji Sat On At Church Service

The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Adeniyi Adeola…

5 hours ago

Jay-Jay Okocha Picks Lionel Messi Over Cristiano Ronaldo As Better Player

Nigerian football legend Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha has named Argentina star Lionel Messi as his…

6 hours ago

Taiwo Hassan Ogogo Battles Stage-Four Cancer As Daughters Seek Medical Help

The daughters of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, have appealed for…

7 hours ago

Man Breaks Into Woman’s House, Steals 27 Pants For Ritual Purposes In Adamawa

A 27-year-old man, Muktar Shehu, has been arraigned for allegedly breaking into a woman’s home…

1 day ago