Categories: Metro

N109Bn Fraud Trial: No Document Missing In Ex- AGF, Ahmed Idris’ Case File

…Trial Within Trial Begins on Defendants’ Statements

The alleged N109 billion corruption and money laundering trial of former Accountant General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris continued on Thursday before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory with a trial within trial to determine whether the statements made by the defendants to the EFCC were obtained voluntarily.

Ahmed Idris was re-arraigned alongside Olusegun Akindele, Mohammed Usman, and Gezawa Commodity Market and Exchange Limited on October 27, 2022, on  a 13-count charge that bordered on alleged misappropriation of the sum of N109 billion

The court had on November 23, 2022, adjourned the hearing in the case after counsel to the 1st defendant objected to further evidence by a prosecution witness, Hayatudeen Suleiman who had been examined on 13 of the statements made by the 1st defendant. He was testifying on the 13th statement already presented to the court when the defence objected, alleging that the statement was obtained from the defendant under duress.

The trial resumed today for a trial within trial to prove the voluntariness, or otherwise, of the statements by the defendants. An attempt by the defence counsel, Chris Uche, to argue the contention of the 1st defendant that his statements were obtained under duress was objected to by Leke Atolagbe who appeared for the prosecution. He argued that the onus was on the prosecution to prove that the statements by the defendants were obtained voluntarily. The court agreed with him.

However, proceedings could not continue after the defence counsel, Uche, observed that the 13th statement obtained on 5th July 2022, on which the prosecution counsel sought to examine his witness, was omitted from the proof of evidence front-loaded to the court by the prosecution.

The prosecution acknowledged the inadvertent omission and sought an adjournment to produce the statement.

Justice Halilu Yusuf adjourned till May 11, for the continuation of the trial.

In other news, Kanyi Daily reported that the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the February 25th general election, Peter Obi has said he won the poll.

Peter Obi who stated this at a press conference on Thursday in Abuja, said he will explore all legal options to reclaim his mandate.

Richard Anyebe

Richard Anyebe is a senior reporter at Kanyi Daily News covering all things politics and trending human interest stories. He is based in Abuja. Contact this reporter at info@kanyidaily.com

Recent Posts

Man Breaks Into Woman’s House, Steals 27 Pants For Ritual Purposes In Adamawa

A 27-year-old man, Muktar Shehu, has been arraigned for allegedly breaking into a woman’s home…

14 hours ago

Nigerian Businesswoman Bebe Jewelry Reportedly Dies During Business Trip To China

Nigerian businesswoman Blessing Orji, popularly known online as Bebe Jewelry or Bebe Orji, has reportedly…

14 hours ago

Jemima Osunde Confronts Driver Over Alleged One-Way Driving In Lagos [Video]

Nollywood actress Jemima Osunde has confronted a motorist she accused of driving against traffic in…

14 hours ago

Yekini Idiaye Elected As New Edo Assembly Speaker, Accuses Agbebaku Of Corruption

Yekini Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I, has been elected Speaker of the Edo State…

15 hours ago

Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku Resigns Over ‘Impeachment Threat’

Blessing Agbebaku, the Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, has resigned from his…

18 hours ago

EFCC Recovers $60m For Nestoil Lenders Amid Debt Investigation

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered $60 million from Nigerian oil and…

20 hours ago