Categories: Sports

Lionel Messi Signs Two-Year Contract With Inter Miami

Football legend, Lionel Messi has signed a contract with Inter Miami until 2025 after his exit from Paris Saint-Germain (PSG).

The Major League Soccer team announced this on Saturday.

The 36-year-old Argentina striker will occupy a Designated Player slot on the roster.

“We are overjoyed that the greatest player in the world chose Inter Miami CF and Major League Soccer, and his decision is a testament to the momentum and energy behind our League and our sport in North America,” said MLS commissioner Don Garber in a statement.

“We have no doubt that Lionel will show the world that MLS can be a league of choice for the best players in the game. We look forward to seeing his debut for Inter Miami in our Leagues Cup tournament later this month.”

The player who sparked Argentina to a World Cup title last year in Qatar is set to be unveiled by the team in a Sunday ceremony and expected to join Inter Miami on the pitch as early as Friday.

“I’m very excited to start this next step in my career with Inter Miami and in the United States,” Messi said in a statement.

Recall that Messi had last month, June  announced his intention to play for the Major League Soccer side during a joint interview with Mundo Deportivo and SPORT, saying, “Leaving European football, much more after winning the World Cup, was what I needed.”

“I made the decision that I am going to go to Miami. I still haven’t closed it 100%. I’m missing some things but we decided to continue the path.”

According to reports, Messi is expected to make Inter Miami debut on July 21 during the team’s inaugural Leagues Cup match against Cruz Azul at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale Florida.

The player will also reunite with former Barcelona players Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets, who will officially join Inter Miami later this week for their first training session. The three played together in Spain from 2012 to 2021, winning five La Liga titles, six Copa del Rey, and one Champions League.

Meanwhile, Kanyi Daily reported that Czech professional tennis player, Marketa Vondrousova became the first unseeded woman on Saturday to win Wimbledon in the Open era as she swept to a shock 6-4, 6-4 victory over Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur in the final.

Richard Anyebe

Richard Anyebe is a senior reporter at Kanyi Daily News covering all things politics and trending human interest stories. He is based in Abuja. Contact this reporter at info@kanyidaily.com

Recent Posts

Tinubu Wins APC Presidential Primary With 10.9m Votes Ahead Of 2027 Elections

President Bola Tinubu has emerged as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

4 hours ago

“He Wanted To Sleep With Me” – Phyna Speaks On Fallout With VeryDarkMan [Video]

Big Brother Naija reality star, Phyna, has accused social media critic VeryDarkMan of damaging her…

4 hours ago

Kayode Are Begins Role As Nigeria’s Ambassador To US, Presents Credentials To Trump [Photos]

Kayode Are, a former director-general of the Department of State Services (DSS), has began his…

5 hours ago

“I Married Her At 22” – Yul Edochie Speaks On His Marriage To Ex-Wife May Edochie

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has revealed how he first met his estranged wife, May Edochie.…

6 hours ago

“We Rαped Her Before Beheading” – Killer Of Imo Nursing Student Wendy Achumba

The youths of Umuadara in Umulogho, Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State, have apprehended…

7 hours ago

Man Utd Captain Bruno Fernandes Named Premier League Player Of The Season

Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season for the 2025/26 campaign…

1 day ago