During the court proceedings on Friday, Bobrisky told the court that he identifies as a male, leading to the ruling by Justice Abimbola Awogboro.
Before the sentence, Justice Abimbola Awogboro asked Bobrisky about his sex, and he quickly replied “I am a man.”
Bobrisky’s offense, as stated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), involved the mutilation of Naira notes, a practice deemed detrimental to the country’s reputation.
Bobrisky was sentenced to six months in the Ikoyi Correctional Centre, without the possibility of a fine.
“The act of mutilating the Naira notes has become a menace, which has continued to damage the image of the country.
“Enough of people mutilating and tampering with our currencies. It has to stop,” Justice Awogboro said, according to the EFCC statement.
The court’s decision was swift on Friday, with Bobrisky immediately taken into custody by EFCC operatives.
Despite concerns raised regarding Bobrisky’s safety within the correctional facility due to his transgender identity, the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) clarified that he would be housed in the male section, adhering to established protocols.
“Since he admitted to being a male in court, then we have to abide by what was submitted in court,” a spokesperson for the correctional service in Lagos said.
Although apprehensions lingered regarding potential harm due to his gender identity, the correctional service assured the public of Bobrisky’s protection from any such threats.
“He shouldn’t be afraid of sexual assault from other male inmates because our men can give him protection,” the spokesperson stated, addressing worries about his vulnerability.
KanyiDaily recalls that Bobrisky was arrested on April 3, and had been detained at the EFCC’s Lagos Command.
Nollywood actress and African Action Congress (AAC) governorship candidate in Abia State, Doris Ogala, has…
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday met privately with Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke at the…
Former House of Representatives member Shina Peller has announced his plan to contest for the…
Nigerian elebrity chef Hilda Baci has threatened to sue singer Seyi Vibez over comments she…
Former Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha has dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to…
Osun State Police Command said singer Davido was the alleged target of an attack on…