Categories: Sports

It Was Victor Osimhen’s Decision Not To Play For Us Again – Napoli Chief

Napoli’s sporting director, Giovanni Manna has placed the blame on Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen for the ongoing tensions between him and the club.

Osimhen was close to moving to Chelsea in the Premier League or Al Ahli in Saudi Arabia, but both deals fell through on the final day of the transfer window.

After the window closed on August 31, Victor Osimhen was left out of Napoli’s Serie A squad, and his number 9 shirt was given to new signing, Romelu Lukaku.

Speaking with DAZN, Manna confirmed that Osimhen had expressed a strong desire to leave Napoli, noting that it was the striker’s decision to stop playing for the club.

The Napoli chief said, “The situation is very clear, it has been since the end of last season. Victor expressed his absolute desire to not stay at Napoli, to not play for Napoli, and we tried to make him happy.

“Then there is a demand and an offer, we thought that we had concluded the negotiations, but then it did not go through. We bought Lukaku, kept Raspadori and Simeone, which was not to be taken for granted.

“At this moment, we maintain the same consistency we had since the start: he expressed the desire to no longer play for Napoli and so we made other choices.”

Manna also spoke about the possibility of Osimhen moving to another Saudi club, saying “The transfer market is still open, there are many options, but I don’t think Victor will go to Saudi Arabia in this transfer session.”

He added that Osimhen’s situation has also created a financial strain on Napoli, as his sale was expected to fund new transfers.

“Our ideas were clear from the start. We were waiting to sell Victor to finance these operations, but the sale did not arrive and the President took on the responsibility to invest and reboot. He took on all the risk, he was incredible,” Manna explained.

KanyiDaily recalls that Napoli previously wanted to sell Victor Osimhen to Al Ahli, turning down an offer from Chelsea.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

US Lawmaker Slams Nigerian Govt Over Plateau Killings, Demands Action

A member of the United States House of Representatives, Chris Smith, has criticised the Nigerian…

1 hour ago

Abdulaziz Yari Leads APC 108-Member Campaign Council For Tinubu’s Re-Election

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has unveiled a 108-member presidential campaign council ahead of the…

2 hours ago

Gunmen Attack Niger Communities, Abduct Muslim Worshippers After Juma’at Prayer

Gunmen have abducted an unspecified number of Muslim worshippers in several communities in Borgu Local…

4 hours ago

Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over Fresh Fake Agency

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the suspension of three permanent secretaries after uncovering fake agency…

4 hours ago

I’ll swim Atlantic For Tinubu If He Practises What We Fought For – Dele Momodu

Former presidential candidate Dele Momodu said he would support President Bola Tinubu if his administration…

18 hours ago

Diana Eneje Announces Her Engagement To Pascal Godwin [Photos]

Nigerian fashion influencer Diana Eneje has announced her engagement to businessman Pascal Godwin after keeping…

19 hours ago