Categories: Metro

Military Retirees Protest Delayed Pension Adjustments In Abuja

Retired military personnel on Wednesday protested in Abuja over “non-implementation of consequential adjustments to their pensions”.

The pensioners gathered at an open area close to the Ministry of Defence, carrying placards and banners with messages outlining their demands.

When they moved towards the ministry’s main entrance, soldiers blocked their path and prevented them from reaching the premises.

Police officers and personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps also joined the security operation.

Roads around the ministry were blocked, while security vehicles and armoured tanks were deployed to restrict access.

The retirees later moved to the road median, where they addressed journalists and explained the reasons behind their protest.

Their complaint followed recent salary increases approved by President Bola Tinubu for serving military personnel.

Under the approved structure, officers from colonel and above, including brigadier-generals, major-generals, lieutenant-generals and generals, are to receive a 30 percent increase.

Personnel between the ranks of colonel and warrant officer are expected to receive a 50 percent increase, while those from private to staff sergeant are to benefit from an 80 percent increase.

Speaking for the protesters, retired Lieutenant Colonel Innocent Anas said pensioners should receive corresponding increases whenever the salaries of serving military personnel are adjusted.

We have paid our dues in patriotic service to this nation,” Anas said.

“There is a constitutional provision that when you increase the pay of any personnel, there should be a consequential allowance, consequential adjustment for pensioners.”

He argued that the failure to adjust pensions has created situations where some recently retired lower-ranking personnel could receive higher pensions than officers who retired many years earlier.

A couple of sergeants who retired recently could be receiving a pension higher than that of a captain who retired 10 years back, and they served the same military,” he said.

According to him, a salary increase approved for military and paramilitary personnel in November 2025 has still not been reflected in the pensions of retired personnel.

“Since last year, November last year, Mr President approved the new salary increase for the military and the paramilitary; it’s been in the news all over.

“November last year, this is August this year; they have not implemented it as if it’s a scam, and then a new pronouncement comes up again,” he said.

Anas also referred to a recent salary decision that reportedly put the minimum wage for serving personnel at N180,000.

He insisted that pensioners should receive corresponding adjustments under existing constitutional provisions and the Armed Forces Act.

“If they want to implement it by law, constitution, and the Armed Forces Act, there should be a consequential adjustment that is an increase in the pay of pensioners to meet up to par,” he said.

The retired officer further alleged that pensioners were not included in the financial calculations for implementing the latest salary increase.

You are depriving them of their constitutional and legal right,” he added.

He warned that continuing to exclude retirees would create an even wider gap between the pensions of older retirees and those who leave service under the new salary structure.

What it means is that as a retired lieutenant colonel, I retired many years ago, my pension could be the equivalent of a lieutenant who retired just recently, because they don’t want to do the adjustment that is constitutional and legal,” he said.

Anas also warned that if the government fails to respond to their demands, the retirees may take their protest to the Presidential Villa in the coming days.

ALSO READ: Military Retirees Protesting Unpaid Entitlements Shut Down Finance Ministry In Abuja

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

“We Dated The Same Woman” — Blaqbonez Speaks On Feud With Odumodublvck

Nigerian rapper Blaqbonez has spoken about his long-running dispute with fellow rapper Odumodublvck, explaining that…

13 minutes ago

“I Never Cheated On Bella” – BBNaija’s Sheggz Confirms Breakup

Former Big Brother Naija housemate Segun Olusemo, popularly known as Sheggz, has confirmed that his…

2 hours ago

Atiku Is Too Old To Contest 2027 Election, He’s Like Biden – Ayo Fayose

Former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose said ex+Vice President Atiku Abubakar is too old to…

3 hours ago

Daddy Freeze Distances Himself From KC Luxury After Arrest Over Cocaine Possession

Media personality Daddy Freeze has denied having any personal relationship with Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly…

4 hours ago

Angelique Kidjo Becomes First African Musician To Get Hollywood Star

Beninese music legend Angélique Kidjo has made history by becoming the first African musician and…

6 hours ago

Akpabio, Dangote Called Me To Delete My Tweets During Osun Election — Davido

Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has revealed that some of Nigeria’s influential…

8 hours ago