Categories: PHOTOSPEAKS

Saudi Arabia Detains 1000 Nigerian Ladies That Travelled For Hajj

Nigerian officials are desperately seeking the release of up to 1,000 Muslim women held in a Saudi airport jail for traveling without approved chaperones. The women, some of whom have been held since Sunday, had been enroute to make the Muslim Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.


Nigeria’s ambassador to Saudi Arabia told the BBC the authorities were stopping women under the age of 35.

Diplomats pressed into service from Abuja were stumped by the development as there had been an understanding in the past that Nigerian women were exempt from travelling with a male relative – a requirement for women on the Hajj.

A longstanding agreement between National Hajj Commission of Nigeria and the Saudi authorities allows visas to be issued for Nigerian women going to Mecca as long as they are accompanied by their local Hajj committee officials.

But since Sunday, hundreds of Nigerian women have been stopped at the airports in Jeddah and Medina.

Nigeria’s ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Abubakar Shehu Bunu, said he made a formal protest to the foreign affairs office in the capital, Riyadh, today, Wednesday.

“They are stopping women particularly between the ages of 25 and 35 without a male relative. Those over 45 are not a concern to the Saudi authorities,” he told the BBC’s Hausa Service.

One woman told the BBC her group were being held in Jeddah not because they were travelling without male relatives but because the surnames on their passports did not correspond with those of their husbands.

“Our husbands’ names are different from our surnames and they won’t allow that,” Bilkisu Nasidi, who travelled from the northern Nigerian city of Katsina, told the BBC’s Focus on Africa program.

She said the hundreds of women were sleeping on the floor, did not have their belongings and were sharing four toilets at the King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah.

It is a common practice for Muslim women in Nigeria not to take their husband’s name.

More than two million Muslims are due to converge on Mecca for this year’s Hajj, which is set to culminate over a four-day period somewhere between October 24-29 depending on lunar observations.

Kanyi Okeke

Kanyi is the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of KanyiDaily.com. When she's not serving DAILY delicious scoops on Entertainment and news, you can find her reading a book by the beach. Keep up with Kanyi on Instagram and Twitter or through her email Kanyi@KanyiDaily.com

View Comments

Recent Posts

I’ll swim Atlantic For Tinubu If He Practises What We Fought For – Dele Momodu

Former presidential candidate Dele Momodu said he would support President Bola Tinubu if his administration…

2 hours ago

Diana Eneje Announces Her Engagement To Pascal Godwin [Photos]

Nigerian fashion influencer Diana Eneje has announced her engagement to businessman Pascal Godwin after keeping…

2 hours ago

Nigerian Government Declares Tuesday Public Holiday For Eid ul Mawlid

The Federal Government has announced Tuesday, August 25, 2026, as a public holiday to celebrate…

2 hours ago

Adeleke Belong To Us, 2027 lEction Will Be Concluded Before It Starts – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, said he is focused on strengthening…

3 hours ago

“Nobody Can Stop Davido From Coming To Edo” – Israel DMW Replies Okpebholo’s Aide

Israel DMW, the logistics manager of Afrobeats star Davido, has dismissed the claim that the…

4 hours ago

“We Don’t Want To See You Again” – Okpebholo’s Aide Bans Davido From Coming To Edo [Video]

The Senior Special Assistant to Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo on Digital Media, Apostle Kassy…

4 hours ago