“The Key Is The People” – Governor El-Rufai Reveals How To End Godfatherism In Lagos

"The Key Is The People" - Governor El-Rufai Reveals How To End Godfatherism In Lagos 3

The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai has advised Lagosians on how to defeat godfatherism in the state.

El-Rufai gave the advice while responding to a question on godfatherism, at an event organized by the Bridge Club tagged: ‘An Evening with His Excellency Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State’, which held in Lagos on Sunday.

He said addressing it would take early preparation and study. He said:

“Let me tell you something sir; you know, Kaduna State used to be like that. There were three or four politicians in Kaduna that you could not become anything unless you had them on your side.

“Those were the godfathers of Kaduna politics and you had to carry them along and you know, the three words, ‘carry them along’ mean paying them regularly.

“But we chose a different path and the long and short of it now is that after this election in 2019, we have retired all of them; we had to.

“Here in Lagos, you have over six million registered voters; only about a million voted (in 2019 general elections); five million did not vote. If I want to run for governor of Lagos, I will start now.

“I will commission a study to know why those five million registered voters did not vote; where do they go on election day? Then I will start visiting them for the next four years. I will try and get just two million of them to come and vote for me; I will defeat any godfather. The key is to go to the people. The card readers and the biometric registers have given us the tools to connect directly with the people.

“I assure you if you do that for the next four years, connecting with the people; the tin godfather, you will retire him or her permanently. But it is hard work; it requires three to four years of hard work. So, if you want to run in 2023, you should start now.

“Many of the godfathers are either on paper or in the mind of people in politics. They are defeatable.”

The Governor also lamented the quality of leaders in the country, stating that Nigerian leaders are the least qualified with questionable qualifications.

“In most of the developed worlds, the best and the brightest are in politics and public service. I urge you to google the profiles of the captains of the USA, UK, Japan, China and Singapore over the last 10 years and compare their educational and experience profile with ours, you will understand why we are where we are.

“In Nigeria, we have people that never went to school in our National Assembly. We have people with questionable qualifications as state governors. We will go nowhere as long as our best and brightest, people that sit in rooms like this, are not in politics or public service.”

Imo Assembly Recommends Sack Of Chief Judge Over Alleged Age Falsification
News41 mins ago

Imo Assembly Recommends Sack Of Chief Judge Over Alleged Age Falsification

President Tinubu And Organised Labour Agrees On ₦70,000 Minimum Wage For Workers
News55 mins ago

"An Igbo Man Got BLord Arrested, He Might Be Jailed For 15 Years" - VeryDarkMan [Video]
Celebrities1 hour ago

“An Igbo Man Got BLord Arrested, He Might Be Jailed For 15 Years” – VeryDarkMan [Video]

"VeryDarkMan Has No Power To Arrest Our CEO, He Was Invided By Police" - BLord Group

“VeryDarkMan Has No Power To Arrest Our CEO, He Was Invided By Police” – BLord Group

"I Lost My Identity And Dreams Because Of Divorce" - Caroline Danjuma

“I Lost My Identity And Dreams Because Of Divorce” – Caroline Danjuma

Cubana Chief Priest Buys New Hermes Bag For His Wife To Match Their Cars [Video]

"He's Very Greedy" - Netizens Reacts As Kizz Daniel And Ubi Franklin’s Fights Over N150 Million Gig

“He’s Very Greedy” – Netizens Reacts As Kizz Daniel And Ubi Franklin’s Fights Over N150 Million Gig

Judy Austin Shares Her Admiration For Yul Edochie As He Launches His Support For Tinubu

Governor Zulum’s Son Not Arrested For Killing Man Over A Woman – Borno Govt

Governor Zulum’s Son Not Arrested For Killing Man Over A Woman – Borno Govt

Ooni Of Ife Addresses Allegation Of Scamming US-Based Doctor Of $180,000

Ooni Of Ife Addresses Allegation Of Scamming US-Based Doctor Of $180,000

Governor Zulum’s Son Not Arrested For Killing Man Over A Woman – Borno Govt
Metro20 hours ago

Governor Zulum’s Son Umar Zulum Umara Allegedly Stabs Chinese Man to Death Over Lady Inside Indian Nightclub

Tinubu’s Govt Lies Again As UAE Denies Approving $10k Bank Balance, N640k Fee As Visa Application Requirements 6
News23 hours ago

While You Work Hard, Make Time To Enjoy The Fruits Of Your Efforts - Obi Cubana

While You Work Hard, Make Time To Enjoy The Fruits Of Your Efforts – Obi Cubana

How EFCC Officer Threatened To Shoot And Kill Me In Lagos - BBNaija CeeC [Video]

How EFCC Officer Threatened To Shoot And Kill Me In Lagos – BBNaija CeeC [Video]

Edo Assembly Appeals Shaibu’s Reinstatement, Says Omobayo Remains Deputy Gov
News1 day ago

Edo Assembly Appeals Shaibu’s Reinstatement, Says Omobayo Remains Deputy Gov

Kano Governor Reinstates Emir Of Gaya, Appoints Two Others For Karaye, Rano
News1 day ago

Kano Governor Reinstates Emir Of Gaya, Appoints Two Others For Karaye, Rano

Senate Replaces Ali Ndume With Tahir Munguno As Chief Whip For Criticizing Tinubu's Govt
Politics1 day ago

Tahir Munguno Replaces Ali Ndume as Senate Chief Whip

“I Don’t Listen To Anybody’s Music, I Only Listen To My Husband’s Songs" - Simi

“I Don’t Listen To Anybody’s Music, I Only Listen To My Husband’s Songs” – Simi

Drake's $100 Million Mansion Gets Flooded By Heavy Rainfall In Canada [Video]

Drake’s $100 Million Mansion Gets Flooded By Heavy Rainfall In Canada [Video]

"If You Want To Breakup, Pay Me For Everything I Did For You” - Kizz Daniel Hints Marriage Crash

“If You Want To Breakup, Pay Me For Everything I Did For You” – Kizz Daniel Hints Marriage Crash