Metro

EFCC Arraigns Professor, Firms For Stealing N1.4bn Belonging To MAGPAMAN

The Lagos Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC on Thursday, arraigned one Professor Uche Chigozie Edwin for an alleged N1.4bn fraud before Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos.

EFCC

EFCC arraigned Professor Edwin alongside his companies, Visionary Integrated Consulting Limited, NEMAD Associates Limited, and Revamp Global Enterprise, on an 11-count charge bordering on conspiracy, retention, and conversion of funds to the tune of N1, 473,367,046.04 (One Billion, Four Hundred and Seventy-three Million, Three Hundred and Sixty-seven  Thousand, Forty-six Naira, Four Kobo).

One of the counts reads: “That you, Professor Uche Chigozie Edwin, Visionary Integrated Consulting Limited, Nemad Associates Limited, and Revamp Global Enterprise, sometime in 2021 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Court, conspired amongst yourselves to use the sum of N1, 473,367,046.04 (One Billion, Four Hundred and Seventy-Three Million, Three Hundred and Sixty-Seven Thousand, forty-six Naira, Four Kobo), property of the Maize Growers, Processors, and Marketers Association of Nigeria (MAGPAMAN), which sum you reasonably ought to have known forms part of the proceeds of your unlawful activity to wit: fraud; and you thereby committed an offence, contrary to Section 18(a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) (Amendment) Act, 2012 and punishable under Section 15(3) of the same Act.”

He pleaded “not guilty” to the 11-count charge.

READ:  Deji Adeyanju Dares Osinbajo To Resign, Hands Himself To ICPC Over N90bn Alleged Fraud

Given his plea, the prosecution counsel, C.C.Okezie, asked the court for a trial date and also prayed that the defendant be remanded.

The defence counsel, Mobolaji Akintunde, in response, made an application for bail on behalf of his client.

Akintunde prayed to the court to admit his client to bail and also for his remand in the EFCC custody pending the perfection of the bail if granted by the court.

In a short ruling, Justice Oweibo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N1m (One Million Naira) and two sureties in like sum.

READ:  Man Narrates How He Lured 10-Year-Old Girl With N30 To Defile Her In Borno

The sureties must possess landed property within the jurisdiction of the court, and show a tax clearance certificate of three months as well as their passport photographs.

The defendant was also ordered to deposit his passport with the court.

The matter was adjourned till June 27, 2023, for the commencement of trial.

In other news, Kanyi Daily reported that presidential Spokesman, Garba Shehu on Thursday, said the results of the February 25th presidential election came as a shock to many who had declared a winner before Nigeria’s electoral umpire, the National National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared one.

Garba Shehu made the assertion when he was featured in an Arise Television News interview.

READ:  IGP, Kayode Egbetokun Orders Investigation Into 'Fake Memo' Removing Security Personnel From Politicians

Business19 hours ago