Connect with us

Metro

How Gunmen Killed 17 People In Benue Community On Easter Sunday

Published

on

At least 17 people have reportedly lost their lives after another deadly attack on a community in Benue State.

How Gunmen Killed 17 People In Benue Community On Easter Sunday

The latest incident took place in Mbalom, located in Gwer East Local Government Area, on Sunday, April 5, the same day many residents were marking Easter celebration.

According to reports, some gunmen invaded the community without warning and began shooting at villagers.

Residents also said the attackers burned several houses, forcing many people to run into nearby bushes to escape.

Search operations are still ongoing, with several residents said to be missing.

This is heartbreaking. People were caught unawares. Many are still missing,” a resident said.

READ:  Ebonyi Deputy Governor, Patricia Obila Filmed Sharing N1,000 Each To People [Video]

Reacting to the killings, Governor Hyacinth Alia strongly condemned the incident, calling it cruel and unacceptable.

In a statement released by his Chief Press Secretary, Tersoo Kula, the governor expressed condolences to the families of the victims and assured residents that those behind the attack would be brought to justice.

“Benue state Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia strongly condemns the heinous attack carried out by suspected armed herdsmen on the peace-loving people of Mbalom in the Gwer-East Local Government Area,”

“The Governor describes the barbaric act as unacceptable, and a direct affront to the collective peace and security of the state.

READ:  Police Officer, Two Others Arrested For Armed Robbery In Rivers

“He expresses deep sympathy to families affected by the attack and assures them that the government stands firmly with them in this difficult time.”

He also said the latest violence appeared to fit into a worrying pattern of targeted attacks in some parts of the state, while promising tighter security measures.

Governor Alia praised security agencies for their response so far and urged them to step up efforts to arrest those responsible.

KanyiDaily previously reported how nine worshippers were kidnapped from Saint John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon District of Ado Local Government Area, Benue State.

READ:  Distraught Father Storms School Asking Who The Heck Is **Pumping** His Daughter