During a media chat in Abuja on Friday, Wike reacted angrily to Okinbaloye’s comments about fears that Nigeria could drift toward a one-party system.
The journalist had earlier said it was troubling that the 2027 election conversation was beginning to look dominated by a single party, especially because of the crisis within the African Democratic Congress (ADC).
Okinbaloye warned that Nigeria’s democracy would be in danger if the ADC, which many see as a major opposition platform, is unable to participate in the 2027 elections.
Responding to that remark, Wike said he was shocked by the journalist’s position, stressing that if it were possible to break through the television screen, he would have shot him.
“I was surprised yesterday, thoroughly surprised. If there was any way to break the screen, I would have shot him,” Wike had said.
The comment quickly sparked public concern and criticism.
In a joint statement signed by 14 organisations, the network called on the FCT minister to withdraw the remark, apologise to Okinbaloye and the wider media community, and openly restate his support for non-violence and press freedom as a public official.
The groups noted that although Wike later explained that he did not mean to physically harm the journalist, “even such hypothetical expressions of violent intent constitute a conditional threat and cannot be dismissed as harmless”.
“Even if meant humorously, such rhetoric can be perceived as intimidation by both the journalist and the audience,” the statement reads.
“We assert that conditional threats or violent statements against journalists contribute to a climate of fear, undermining the fundamental principles of a free and independent press, especially as journalists play a crucial role in informing the public and holding power to account.”
The coalition warned that statements like Wike’s could further expose media professionals to danger and stressed the need for public officials to communicate more responsibly.
“With a press freedom index ranking of 122 out of 180 countries, Nigeria remains one of West Africa’s most dangerous and challenging countries for journalists,” the statement said.
“Media professionals are routinely monitored, attacked, and arbitrarily arrested, particularly during electoral campaigns. Incidents like this can further imperil journalists and highlight the urgent need for balanced and responsible political engagement, especially from public officials.”
The coalition also by urgged leaders, institutions, and political figures to reject hostile language against the press and instead encourage respectful engagement, even when there are strong political disagreements.
KanyiDaily recalls that Nyesom Wike recently criticised Oyo state governor Seyi Makinde over the ongoing crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Nollywood actress and African Action Congress (AAC) governorship candidate in Abia State, Doris Ogala, has…
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday met privately with Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke at the…
Former House of Representatives member Shina Peller has announced his plan to contest for the…
Nigerian elebrity chef Hilda Baci has threatened to sue singer Seyi Vibez over comments she…
Former Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha has dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to…
Osun State Police Command said singer Davido was the alleged target of an attack on…