Categories: Sports

Neymar Retires From International Football After Brazil’s World Cup Elimination

Neymar has announced his retirement from Brazil national team after their 2-1 defeat to Norway in the Round of 16 of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

The 34-year-old came off the bench late in the match at MetLife Stadium and scored a penalty during stoppage time.

However, the goal was not enough to save Brazil, as Norway had already taken control through two goals from Erling Haaland.

Speaking to Brazil’s Globo Esporte after the match, Neymar hinted that he had played his final game for his country.

“I tried and I tried. Now it’s over. It began here and it ends here,” he said.

Neymar broke down in tears after the final whistle and was comforted by his teammates as Brazil’s World Cup campaign came to an end.

He remains Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer, having scored his first international goal at the same stadium in 2010 when Brazil defeated the United States 2-0.

The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain star has struggled with injuries over the past few years.

Now back at his boyhood club Santos, Neymar was considered a surprise selection by Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti for the World Cup squad.

Fitness problems kept Neymar out of Brazil’s opening two group-stage matches.

He eventually returned as a substitute during Brazil’s 3-0 victory over Scotland in Miami, marking his first appearance for the national team since October 2023.

His appearance against Norway was only his second game at the tournament and is now expected to be remembered as the final chapter of his international career.

ALSO READ: Neymar Punches Alvaro Gonzalez For Calling Him “Monkey Motherf**ker” During PSG Defeat [Video]

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Shina Peller To Contest Oyo North Senate Seat Under APM In 2027

Former House of Representatives member Shina Peller has announced his plan to contest for the…

5 minutes ago

Hilda Baci Threatens To Sue Seyi Vibez For Alleging ‘Her Food Almost Killed Him’

Nigerian elebrity chef Hilda Baci has threatened to sue singer Seyi Vibez over comments she…

1 hour ago

Okorocha Sues Uzodimma, INEC Over APC Imo West Senatorial Ticket

Former Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha has dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to…

5 hours ago

“Davido Was Targeted” – Police Confirm Attack On Governor Adeleke’s Convoy

Osun State Police Command said singer Davido was the alleged target of an attack on…

7 hours ago

Chidimma Adetshina’s Deportation Case Adjorned As South Africans Demand Her Returns To Nigeria

Anti-migrant protesters gathered outside the Cape Town Regional Court on Wednesday as proceedings against former…

8 hours ago

Lagos, Ogun Declare Thursday Public Holiday To Celebrate Isese Day

The Lagos and Ogun State governments have declared Thursday, August 20, 2026, a public holiday…

1 day ago