Metro

Police Arrest 3 Suspect For Beating 23-Year-Old Man To Death Over Phone Theft In Ogun

Ogun State Police Command has arrested three suspects for allegedly beating a 23-year-old man to death over phone theft at Iju-Ota town, in Ado-Odo Ota Local Government Area of the state.

The State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, who confirmed this in in a statement on Sunday, said the victim was accused of stealing two mobile phones.

Oyeyemi identified the suspects as Ugo Obi, Chinonso Jude, and Chibuke Samson; adding that they were arrested on January 21 following a report by the father of the victim, Ajibade Gbenga.

According to him, Gbenga reported at Onipanu Divisional Headquarters that his son, Samuel Ajibade, was accused of stealing two handsets by the suspects and beaten to a state of comma.

Mr Ajibade reportedly told the police that his son was rushed to the General Hospital, Ota, for medical attention but was confirmed dead as soon as he arrived at the hospital.

“Upon the report, the DPO Onipanu Division, CSP Bamidele Job, led his detectives to the scene where the three suspects were quickly arrested.

“It was the quick response of the police that saved the suspects from being lynched by angry mob who have gathered to apply jungle justice on them immediately they heard that the victim is dead.

“The corpse of the deceased had been deposited at the general hospital Ota mortuary for post mortem examination,” Mr Oyeyemi said.

The Commissioner of Police, Edward Ajogun, has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to the homicide section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and diligent prosecution.

Ajogun also warned that the command will not tolerate any form of jungle justice on anybody suspected of any type of crime.

The police boss appealed to members of the public to always report anyone suspected to have committed crime to the law enforcement agency for proper investigation and prosecution rather than taking laws into their hands.

KanyiDaily had also reported that a 55-year-old man, Ishau Falana, was arrested for allegedly beating to death his relative, Badmus Rafiu, over bush buring in Ogun.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Man Breaks Into Woman’s House, Steals 27 Pants For Ritual Purposes In Adamawa

A 27-year-old man, Muktar Shehu, has been arraigned for allegedly breaking into a woman’s home…

8 hours ago

Nigerian Businesswoman Bebe Jewelry Reportedly Dies During Business Trip To China

Nigerian businesswoman Blessing Orji, popularly known online as Bebe Jewelry or Bebe Orji, has reportedly…

9 hours ago

Jemima Osunde Confronts Driver Over Alleged One-Way Driving In Lagos [Video]

Nollywood actress Jemima Osunde has confronted a motorist she accused of driving against traffic in…

9 hours ago

Yekini Idiaye Elected As New Edo Assembly Speaker, Accuses Agbebaku Of Corruption

Yekini Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I, has been elected Speaker of the Edo State…

9 hours ago

Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku Resigns Over ‘Impeachment Threat’

Blessing Agbebaku, the Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, has resigned from his…

13 hours ago

EFCC Recovers $60m For Nestoil Lenders Amid Debt Investigation

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered $60 million from Nigerian oil and…

14 hours ago