Categories: News

Boko Haram Kidnapped Greenfield University Students, Not Bandits – Sheikh Gumi [Video]

Popular Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has revealed that Boko Haram members are behind the abduction of the students of Greenfield University in Kaduna State.

KanyiDaily had reported how 22 students and a member of staff of the institution were abducted by gunmen who invaded the University on April 18, 2021.

The kidnappers subsequently killed three of the students, and later another two, while demanding N800 million ransom from the parents.

Media reports had previously linked the kidnapping to bandits operating in Kaduna state.

However, during an interview with AIT on Tuesday, Sheikh Gumi insisted that his findings show that the members of the Boko Haram orchestrated kidnapping.

When asked by the reporter if he is certain that that Boko Haram were behind the abduction, Sheik Gumi said:

“Yes, really because when we tried to trace them and put some sense into them, the contact who is also a Normadic Fulani, they threatened him. They said if he insists on them they were going to catch him and he will have to pay ransom before he gets out.

“And the leader is from Jalingo. He is from Adamawa. He is not the local fulani we have here. So this means that North-Eastern element is coming into this area and we have to move fast. We don’t have that luxury of time.

“I have been trying to speak with government but nobody is really trying to listen to me or speak with me on this issue.

“We are trying to pacify and remove this banditry and they are responding.”

Reacting to the decision of the Kaduna state government not to negotiate with bandits, Sheik Gumi said:

”Five souls were killed. Why? What amount of money is too big for us to save the lives of those five students, what amount of money? secondly, we can give them the money to get the boys out of danger then go after our money. Nobody is saying you shouldn’t find them..you can get the two back.

“To say you will not negotiate with them and also not take action against them, I cannot understand that.”

Watch the video below:

KanyiDaily recalls that yesterday the kidnappers threatened that if the Kaduna State Government or their families failed to pay a ransom of N100 million as well as provide them with 10 brand Honda motorcycles by Tuesday, the remaining students would be killed.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Desmond Elliot Vows To Appeal Outcome Of Surulere APC Primary

Desmond Elliot, who represents Surulere Constituency I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, said…

14 hours ago

Gunmen Abduct Ekiti LG Vice-Chairman Grace Ogunleye

Grace Ogunleye, the vice-chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area, has been kidnapped by gunmen along…

14 hours ago

Oil Subsidy, Exchange Rate Cabals Want Me Dead — President Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu claimed that some powerful people affected by his economic reforms want him…

15 hours ago

“Don’t Post My DM When I Die” – Etinosa Idemudia Warns Colleagues Over Fake Tributes

Nollywood actress Etinosa Idemudia has spoken against the growing habit of celebrities sharing unreplied direct…

16 hours ago

Nigerian Police Officer Apologises After Threatening To Kill Anyone Filming Him On Duty

A police officer has apologised after he was seen in a video threatening to kill…

16 hours ago

Only Foolish People Believe I’m Working For Tinubu – Kwankwaso

Former Kano state governor Rabiu Kwankwaso has denied claims that he is secretly supporting Bola…

18 hours ago