Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni has confirmed the death of civilians during an airstrike by Nigerien Air Force (NAF) in Buhari community, Yunusari Local Government Area of the state.
KanyiDaily had earlier reported that a fighter jet belonging to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) had mistakenly killed nine people during a bombardment at Buhari community in the early hours of Wednesday.
It was gathered that over 30 villagers sustained injuries during the airstrikes and they are now receiving medical attention at a government health facility in Geidam.
But in a statement on Wednesday, the NAF spokesman, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, denied reports linking one of its fighter jets to the bombing.
“This tweet is false in its entirety. The NAF last conducted a mission in Yobe State (not Yunusari LGA) on September 5, 2021, and it was an armed recce. No bomb or missile was even expended,” the statement reads.
The state governor contradicted the military in a condolence message issued on Thursday by the State Director-General of Press and Media Affairs, Alhaji Mamman Mohammed.
Governor Mala-Buni directed government hospitals in Geidam and Damaturu to offer free medical services to those who sustained injuries in the disaster.
He also directed the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) to provide relief materials to cater for the immediate needs of the families of the deceased persons and other members of the community.
The governor commiserated with the families of those who lost their lives in the air strike
Mr Buni also directed his Special Adviser on Security Affairs, Dahiru Abdulsalan, to liaise with the Nigeria Air force and the Multi-National Joint Task Force to identify the root cause of the strike.
“Government will work closely with the security forces, especially the Nigeria Airforce, to establish what actually happened. This is very important and necessary for us to guard against future occurrence and to safeguard the lives of our people,” the governor said.
Governor Buni said the state government would always cooperate with security agencies to ensure the safety of the people.
KanyiDaily had also reported how another fighter jet belonging to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) ‘mistakenly’ bombed and killed at least 17 people in Borno State.