Police IG Orders Arrest And Prosecution Of Those Selling, Rejecting Or Spraying Naira

The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali Baba has ordered the arrest and prosecution of those abusing the naira notes.

According to a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, on Friday, the IGP said all individuals engaged in the sale or abuse of the naira notes issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) should be arrested and prosecuted.

The IGP said the directive is in furtherance of the Federal Government’s policy and drive to uphold the provisions of the CBN Act, 2007, and dignify Nigeria’s currency.

He also instructed the deputy inspector-general of police in charge of the Force Criminal Investigations Department (FCID) and the assistant inspector-general of police in charge of the Force Intelligence Bureau (FIB) to place their officers on “high alert”.

READ:  President Buhari Extends Tenure Of IGP Adamu By Three Months

The statement reads, “The IGP has similarly charged all supervisory Assistant Inspectors-General of Police and Commissioners of Police in charge of Police Commands and Formations to carry out full enforcement of the provisions of Sections 20 and 21 of the Central Bank of Nigeria Act, 2007 which criminalizes amongst other things the hawking, selling or otherwise trading, spraying of, dancing or matching on the Naira notes, falsifying or counterfeiting of bank notes, refusal to accept the Naira as a means of payment, tampering with the coin or note issued by the CBN.

“The Inspector-General of Police reiterated the mandate of the Nigeria Police Force to enforce all laws and regulations without any prejudice to the enabling Acts of other security agencies and urged all and sundry to cooperate with the Nigeria Police Force as it brings the long arm of the law to bear upon all violators of the provisions of the CBN Act, and other extant statutes in Nigeria, with a view to having a well-policed society in all ramifications within the country.”

The directive from the IGP is coming amid the scarcity of the new naira notes across the country — a situation that is heightening tension and causing hardship for Nigerians.

KanyiDaily had recently reported how a Nollywood actress Simisola Gold was arrested by the ICPC for selling new naira notes on social media.

READ:  Imo PDP Chairman Faces Suspension Over Alleged Gross Misconduct