Connect with us

News

WHO Says 400 Have Been Killed, 3,500 Hurt In Sudan Fighting

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday, disclosed that more than 400 people have been killed and over 3,500 others hurt in the fighting in Sudan.

WHO Says 400 Have Been Killed, 3,500 Hurt In Sudan Fighting 3

WHO Spokeswoman Margaret Harris disclosed this while briefing reporters in Geneva.

413 have died and 3,551 people have been injured … that we know of,” she said.

According to the UN children’s agency, UNICEF, at least nine children were among the dead and more than 50 children had been wounded.

READ:  Shehu Sani Reacts To Tinubu Appointing Chief Of Staff, President Not Picking Any Ex-North West Govs

Harris, who cited the Sudanese health ministry figures, noted that 20 health facilities had stopped functioning and another 12 were at risk of stopping.

The WHO Spokeswoman said this would affect “not only the people who have been injured during this terrible fighting but the people who were needing treatment before.”

It’s taking a devastating toll on the country’s children,” UNICEF spokesman James Elder told reporters.

As long as fighting continues, children will continue to pay the price.

READ:  Nigerians React As Senator Dino Melaye Leads Worship Session In Church [Video]

“The fighting means many families are trapped, with little or no access to electricity, terrified of running out of food, water, and medicine.”

He said Sudan already had one of the world’s highest rates of child malnutrition, with critical life-saving care now disrupted for an estimated 50,000 severely acutely malnourished children.

This is life-threatening,” he said.

The most critical cases are “being fed with tubes because that’s literally the only way they can be fed”, said Elder.

READ:  "Another Big Disaster Is Coming" – Pastor Adeboye Gives New Prophecy

“When the bombing or shelling begins outside the hospital and where medical staff need to flee, then what?”

Elder also warned that the fighting was putting at risk the cold storage of more than $40 million worth of vaccines and insulin, due to the breaks in the power supply and fuel shortages.

We need forces to immediately cease hostilities and for all parties to respect their international obligations to protect children from harm,” he said.

In other news, Kanyi Daily reported that Nigerian singer, Peter Okoye has reacted to Twitter’s action of removing his verification tick.

READ:  House Of Reps Probe NEDC Over Mismanagement Of N100bn Which 'Vanished Under One Year'

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close