Metro

NDLEA Intercepts UK-bound N.5Billion Worth Meth, Arrests Baron, Seals Lekki Mansion

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have intercepted a large consignment of methamphetamine.

NDLEA

The consignment was concealed in powdered custard containers as part of a consolidated cargo going to London, United Kingdom at the SAHCO export shed of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Ikeja Lagos.

This was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by Director, Media and Advocacy NDLEA, Femi Babafemi.

The illicit drug consignment weighing 30.10 kilograms with a street value of N567 million was detected and seized by NDLEA operatives at the airport on Tuesday 16th May.

READ:  Adamawa Bishop Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison For Diverting N69m Meant For Pilgrims Welfare

The statement said this was swiftly followed by a series of follow-up operations that led to the arrest of a freight agent, Nwobodo Chidiebere; a female suspect, Chioma Lucy Akuta and ultimately the drug lord behind the shipment, Charles Chinedu Ezeh, who was arrested at Sotel Suites, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos on Thursday 18th May.

According to the statement, Ezeh claims he is a businessman and deals in articles in Onitsha, Anambra State but investigations reveal he lived with his wife and children in London until 10th December 2022 when he fled to Nigeria after his involvement in a drug-related offence in the UK.

“Though he claimed to have been living in hotels since his return to Nigeria last December, operatives were, however able to locate his mansion at No. 1 Hawawu Abikan Street, Lekki, on Friday 19th May, where a search was conducted and his travel and property documents among others were recovered,” the statement reads.

In other news, Kanyi Daily reported that a truce between the resident doctors and the federal government of Nigeria has been reached over the five-day warning strike embarked upon by the association.

READ:  "It’s An Insult For Me To Be Struggling With Cows On The Road" - Umahi Bans Movement Of Cattle In Ebonyi

News1 day ago