Categories: Metro

89 Northern Youths Who Arrived In Lagos Were Recruited At Dangote Refinery – Police [Video]

Lagos State Police Command has dismissed rumors sparked by a viral video showing 89 Northern Youths arriving and gathering in Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos.

In a statement posted on X by the Command’s spokesperson, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin, the police said they received a report about the gathering on May 14, 2025, and quickly deployed officers to investigate.

According to the police, their findings confirmed that the group, made up of 89 young men, were legitimately recruited from Katsina State to work as laborers at the Dangote Refinery in Lekki.

“Preliminary investigations revealed that the young men in question, 89 in number, had arrived from Katsina State and were recruited to work as labourers at the Dangote Refinery in Lekki,” he said.

Hundeyin said both the contractor and the refinery’s Chief Security Officer verified that the men were recruited through proper channels and had been cleared to live and work at the site.

Hundeyin added that the men were thoroughly searched and no weapons or illegal items were found. Each of them also presented a valid National Identification Number (NIN), which the police verified.

“The contractor working with the refinery appeared before the police and confirmed that he had personally sourced and brought the labourers from Katsina for legitimate employment purposes,” the statement added.

“The individuals were thoroughly searched, and no incriminating items were found in their possession.

“Furthermore, each person properly identified themselves and presented their National Identification Numbers (NINs), which were duly verified,”

To ease public concerns, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Olohundare Jimoh, urged residents not to panic or spread false claims.

The Command remains committed to maintaining law and order across Lagos State and will continue to respond promptly to all matters relating to public safety,” the Commissioner stated.

The police also advised Lagosians to stop sharing unconfirmed stories, especially those that could cause unnecessary fear or tension.

Watch the video below:

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Police Command has begun an investigation into the death of an 80-year-old Colombian man, Quesada Vanegas Ricardo Alfonso, who was found dead in his hotel room at the Golden Tulip Hotel in Festac Town.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Tinubu Wins APC Presidential Primary With 10.9m Votes Ahead Of 2027 Elections

President Bola Tinubu has emerged as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

2 hours ago

“He Wanted To Sleep With Me” – Phyna Speaks On Fallout With VeryDarkMan [Video]

Big Brother Naija reality star, Phyna, has accused social media critic VeryDarkMan of damaging her…

2 hours ago

Kayode Are Begins Role As Nigeria’s Ambassador To US, Presents Credentials To Trump [Photos]

Kayode Are, a former director-general of the Department of State Services (DSS), has began his…

3 hours ago

“I Married Her At 22” – Yul Edochie Speaks On His Marriage To Ex-Wife May Edochie

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has revealed how he first met his estranged wife, May Edochie.…

4 hours ago

“We Rαped Her Before Beheading” – Killer Of Imo Nursing Student Wendy Achumba

The youths of Umuadara in Umulogho, Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State, have apprehended…

5 hours ago

Man Utd Captain Bruno Fernandes Named Premier League Player Of The Season

Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season for the 2025/26 campaign…

1 day ago