Categories: Politics

Natasha Akpoti Pleads Not Guilty To Alleged Defamation, Granted ₦50m Bail

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents Kogi Central, has been granted bail in the sum of ₦50 million after pleading not guilty to defamation charges at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court.

Justice Chizoba Orji, who presided over the hearing on Thursday, ruled that the senator must provide one surety who must own property in Abuja and be a responsible resident of the Federal Capital Territory.

The case has been adjourned until September 23, 2025, for trial to begin.

The Federal Government had earlier arraigned Natasha Akpoti on three counts, accusing her of making damaging claims against Senate President Godswill Akpabio and former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello.

During the court session, there was a strong presence of security personnel. Akpoti-Uduaghan was accompanied by her husband, former Minister of Education Oby Ezekwesili, activist Aisha Yesufu, and several supporters.

According to the charges, the government claims that the senator knowingly made statements that could harm the reputations of Akpabio and Bello, which violates Section 391 of the Penal Code and is punishable under Section 392.

One of the charges is based on a television interview where Akpoti-Uduaghan reportedly accused the Senate President and Yahaya Bello of plotting to assassinate her.

Natasha allegedly said Akpabio had met with Bello and discussed plans to “eliminate” her. She also questioned why her security was withdrawn, claiming it was done to make her vulnerable to attack.

Another charge involves a phone conversation dated March 27, 2025, in which the senator reportedly made similar allegations during a call with one Sandra C. Duru in Abuja.

The prosecution revealed that both Akpabio and Bello are expected to serve as witnesses in the case.

Akpoti-Uduaghan has denied all the allegations and pleaded not guilty to each count.

KanyiDaily recalls that on Monday, the court dismissed a request by the Federal Government to order the arrest of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan after she failed to attend her defamation trial.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Siminalayi Fubara Withdraws From Rivers APC Governorship Primary

Siminalayi Fubara, the governor of Rivers State, has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

41 minutes ago

Femi Otedola Announces Plans To Invest $100m In Dangote Refinery

Femi Otedola, chairman of First HoldCo, said he plans to invest $100 million in the…

14 hours ago

My Heart Is Heavy Over Painful Killings And Abductions In Oyo – Toyin Abraham

Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham has decried the growing cases of killings and kidnappings in Oyo…

15 hours ago

Portugal Name Cristiano Ronaldo For Friendly Match With Nigeria Ahead Of World Cup

Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez has unveiled his squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup,…

15 hours ago

Desmond Elliot Withdraws From Surulere APC Primary, Alleges Intimidation [Video]

Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Surulere…

17 hours ago

NDLEA Uncovers N480bn Meth Laboratory In Ogun Forest, Arrests Three Mexicans

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered a methamphetamine laboratory in Ogun State.…

17 hours ago