Categories: Politics

“I’m Running To Win” — Sowore Declares 2027 Presidential Ambition

Omoyele Sowore, a human rights advocate and publisher of Sahara Reporters, has announced that he plans to run in the 2027 presidential election.

Sowore, who flew the flag of the African Action Congress (AAC) in the 2023 election, made this known on Friday during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today.

He revealed that the AAC is set to conduct its primary election next week but did not confirm if he would be the party’s only candidate.

Omoyele Sowore made his position clear, saying “I am running to win.

” And it is because, as I’ve said several times, all the political parties are equal, and the better candidates should be able to win elections in this country, people with ideas.

“It’s different because these are different times also. Times are harder. Nigeria is in bigger trouble.”

He also argued that he has better ideas than President Bola Tinubu and other politicians expected to join the race, blaming past and current leaders for Nigeria’s struggles.

All the ideas of the people you mentioned brought Nigeria into this cycle of poverty, insecurity, pain, sorrow, and tears,” he said.

“Do you want Nigeria to continue to get these same people elected or selected, whichever way they get themselves into office, so that they can suffer more, so that those of us who have ideas that can liberate this country will not be listened to?”

Sowore said his decision to run again is driven by his desire to provide a credible alternative to the country’s traditional political system.

The activist also spoke on the ongoing digital membership registration exercise introduced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

He explained that the AAC has not yet submitted its final membership list, noting that a recent court ruling allows political parties to reopen their registration portals if needed.

We haven’t finally submitted, and that’s what this court judgment says. So if you have submitted now, the court says you can reopen your portal and start again. But we never stopped anyway,” he said.

This will be the third time Sowore is contesting for Nigeria’s top office under the AAC platform, having previously taken part in the 2019 and 2023 elections.

Over the years, he has positioned himself as a challenger to the established political order, often criticising both the ruling party and opposition over the country’s economic and security situation.

ALSO READ: Omoyele Sowore Accuses Judge Of Bias As Court Rejects His No-Case Submission

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Regina Daniels Flaunts Romantic Gifts She Received From Admirer [Photos]

Nollywood actress Regina Daniels has shared photos of a gift package she recently received from…

59 minutes ago

Yusuf Tuggar Loses APC Governorship Ticket In Bauchi To Mohammed Abubakar

Former minister of foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar has failed to secure the All Progressives Congress…

2 hours ago

1,100 Nigerian Migrants Return From Niger Republic By Road – NIS

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has confirmed that more than 1,100 Nigerian migrants have returned…

19 hours ago

Yul Edochie Reveals Why Men Shouldn’t Hold Grudges Against Their Wives

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has advised married men not to stay angry with their wives,…

20 hours ago

Blaqbonez Reveals Why He Rejected Don Jazzy’s $1m To Join Mavin Records

Nigerian rapper Blaqbonez has revealed why he turned down an alleged offer to join Mavin…

21 hours ago

If You Sleep With My Wife As A Man, Your Life Will Get Spoilt Beyond Repair – Isreal DMW

Isreal DMW, the manager of Nigerian music star Davido, has warned that any man who…

21 hours ago