The evacuation followed fresh violence targeting African migrants living in South Africa.
Earlier this week, Nigeria’s Acting High Commissioner to South Africa, Temitope Ajayi, revealed that the government was documenting businesses and properties abandoned by Nigerians who returned home.
According to Ajayi, the records would be used during discussions with South African authorities over the possibility of compensation for affected citizens.
However, South Africa’s Minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, dismissed the idea during a press briefing on Friday.
Ntshavheni maintained that legally owned properties are registered with the relevant authorities, while structures in informal settlements are considered illegal and are not recognised by the government.
Instead of discussing compensation, she demanded information about locations linked to drug-related activities by some Nigerians in South Africa.
“We’ll be interested to know where the drug dens of Nigerians are. So they can show us where they have been holding the drugs so that we can clean the drugs in South Africa quite urgently,” Ntshavheni said.
“Squatter camps and informal settlements are never properties because they are illegal in the country. So you are already violating our law if you are going to tell us about a shack in some informal settlement.”
“So there’s no compensation that will come from government. Those who leave their properties, if they are properly legally registered in the country, they can dispose of the properties in the property market in South Africa — whether it’s a movable or immovable property. And we are going to seriously appreciate to be told where are the drug dens.”
Ntshavheni also disclosed that the South African government has approved new measures aimed at preventing informal settlements from being rebuilt after they have been demolished.
KanyiDaily Fourth Batch Of Nigerians Fleeing South Africa’s Xenophobia Arrives In Lagos
Former Big Brother Naija housemate Segun Olusemo, popularly known as Sheggz, has confirmed that his…
Former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose said ex+Vice President Atiku Abubakar is too old to…
Media personality Daddy Freeze has denied having any personal relationship with Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly…
Beninese music legend Angélique Kidjo has made history by becoming the first African musician and…
Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has revealed that some of Nigeria’s influential…
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses…