Categories: Sports

UEFA Criticises FIFA’s Decision To Suspend Red Card Of US Striker Folaran Balogun

UEFA has condemned FIFA’s decision to cancel Folarin Balogun’s one-match suspension before the United States’ World Cup round-of-16 clash with Belgium.

Balogun was shown a red card during the USA’s 2026 FIFA World Cup round-of-32 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina after committing a dangerous tackle in the 64th minute.

Under normal rules, the dismissal meant he was expected to miss the next match against Belgium.

However, FIFA announced on Sunday that the suspension would be put on hold for one year, allowing the 25-year-old striker to play in Tuesday’s knockout fixture.

The decision has sparked widespread debate, with reports also claiming that US President Donald Trump had contacted FIFA President Gianni Infantino to ask for a review of the red-card decision before the announcement.

Reacting to the development on Monday, UEFA said FIFA had gone beyond acceptable limits by overturning a mandatory suspension.

According to the European football governing body, a suspension following a red card is automatic and should not be treated as a matter of discretion or personal judgment.

UEFA warned that the decision could set a dangerous precedent, raising concerns about the fairness of the current World Cup and the future application of football’s disciplinary rules.

Yesterday’s decision to suspend for a probationary period of a year the implementation of the one-match automatic suspension following the red card issued to the player Folarin Balogun crossed a red line,” UEFA stated.

“Sometimes rules are open to interpretation. In this case not. A minimum automatic suspension of one match following a red card is not a discretionary option and does not require the decision of a competent body to be enacted.

“When the certainty of rules is no longer guaranteed by its guardians, the integrity of the game is at stake and the credibility of a competition is undermined.

“Equally, such a decision creates a precedent in the ongoing tournament, where similar situations will now require an equal treatment, to the detriment of the competition.

“Football is the most loved sport in the world because it is a beautiful game and is trusted because it is played everywhere with the same laws.

“A tournament is never a pure standalone and, if the tournament in question is the World Cup, it has the power to drive positive or negative consequences on the game as a whole.

We express our disbelief at such an unprecedented, incomprehensible and unjustifiable decision.”

The Belgian Football Association had earlier criticised FIFA’s action, arguing that it conflicts with the competition regulations for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

The association also said it is considering every available legal option to protect the integrity of the tournament.

ALSO READ: FIFA Overturns US Star Striker Balogun’s Red Card After Trump Called Infantino

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

I’ll swim Atlantic For Tinubu If He Practises What We Fought For – Dele Momodu

Former presidential candidate Dele Momodu said he would support President Bola Tinubu if his administration…

6 hours ago

Diana Eneje Announces Her Engagement To Pascal Godwin [Photos]

Nigerian fashion influencer Diana Eneje has announced her engagement to businessman Pascal Godwin after keeping…

6 hours ago

Nigerian Government Declares Tuesday Public Holiday For Eid ul Mawlid

The Federal Government has announced Tuesday, August 25, 2026, as a public holiday to celebrate…

7 hours ago

Adeleke Belong To Us, 2027 lEction Will Be Concluded Before It Starts – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, said he is focused on strengthening…

7 hours ago

“Nobody Can Stop Davido From Coming To Edo” – Israel DMW Replies Okpebholo’s Aide

Israel DMW, the logistics manager of Afrobeats star Davido, has dismissed the claim that the…

8 hours ago

“We Don’t Want To See You Again” – Okpebholo’s Aide Bans Davido From Coming To Edo [Video]

The Senior Special Assistant to Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo on Digital Media, Apostle Kassy…

9 hours ago