A Good Samaritan claims his life is shattered after a young woman who he helped falsely accused him of sexual assault.
Kenan Basic spent two weeks in a maximum security prison, lost his job and is now going through a divorce, after a 19-year-old woman made false accusations against him.
Mr. Basic stopped to help the teenager in November last year after she crashed her car and pulled into a BP in Bankstown, in Sydney’s south-west.
The 36-year-old married father-of-one spent almost two hours helping the woman get her car back on the road.
"use strict"; var adace_load_6a0ec5f9033fe = function(){ var viewport = $(window).width(); var tabletStart = 601; var landscapeStart = 801; var tabletEnd = 961; var content = '%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22adace_adsense_6a0ec5f903140%22%3E%3Cscript%20async%20src%3D%22%2F%2Fpagead2.googlesyndication.com%2Fpagead%2Fjs%2Fadsbygoogle.js%22%3E%3C%2Fscript%3E%0A%09%09%3Cins%20class%3D%22adsbygoogle%22%0A%09%09style%3D%22display%3Ablock%3B%22%0A%09%09data-ad-client%3D%22ca-pub-2233808518455682%22%0A%09%09data-ad-slot%3D%221717524128%22%0A%09%09data-ad-format%3D%22auto%22%0A%09%09%3E%3C%2Fins%3E%0A%09%09%3Cscript%3E%28adsbygoogle%20%3D%20window.adsbygoogle%20%7C%7C%20%5B%5D%29.push%28%7B%7D%29%3B%3C%2Fscript%3E%3C%2Fdiv%3E'; var unpack = true; if(viewport=tabletStart && viewport=landscapeStart && viewport=tabletStart && viewport=tabletEnd){ if ($wrapper.hasClass('.adace-hide-on-desktop')){ $wrapper.remove(); } } if(unpack) { $self.replaceWith(decodeURIComponent(content)); } } if($wrapper.css('visibility') === 'visible' ) { adace_load_6a0ec5f9033fe(); } else { //fire when visible. var refreshIntervalId = setInterval(function(){ if($wrapper.css('visibility') === 'visible' ) { adace_load_6a0ec5f9033fe(); clearInterval(refreshIntervalId); } }, 999); }
})(jQuery);
CCTV captured the entire interaction and shows the pair chatting happily and even embracing before she drives away, Nine News reported.
“I always help people you know, all my life, and this is the first time the snake bite me,” Mr Basic said.
He then followed the teen a short distance with his car to make sure she didn’t break down again.
However, after they drove off, the woman told police Mr Basic indecently assaulted and stalked her.
The teenager claimed Mr Basic had allegedly propositioned her for sex in return for his help before following her and once again propositioning her.
Days after his act of kindness Mr Basic was facing serious sexual charges and spent two weeks behind bars in Silverwater Prison.
He also lost his job and is now going through a divorce because of the false charges.
“No-one would ever expect that as a Good Samaritan you stop to assist a broken down motorist that then you would subsequently be charged with these serious offences,” Mr Basic’s lawyer Mona El Baba told Seven News.
On Monday, all charges against Mr Basic were dropped after the woman broke down when pressed by detectives in an interview and finally told the truth – that she’d been lying about the accusations.
“I feel happy because I got my freedom you know,” Mr Basic said.
The teenager is now facing a charge of knowingly making a false or misleading statement and will appear in court next week.
Mr Basic said the incident has deterred him from stopping and helping a young woman ever again.
Siminalayi Fubara, the governor of Rivers State, has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC)…
Femi Otedola, chairman of First HoldCo, said he plans to invest $100 million in the…
Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham has decried the growing cases of killings and kidnappings in Oyo…
Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez has unveiled his squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup,…
Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Surulere…
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered a methamphetamine laboratory in Ogun State.…