Connect with us


Malaysian University Suspends Classes Over Mysterious Death Of Nigerian PhD Student



Malaysian University Suspends Classes Over Mysterious Death Of Nigerian PhD Student 3

The Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, a private educational institution, has suspended classes for a day over the mysterious death of a Nigerian Ph.D. student, Thomas Orhionsefe Ewansiha.

KanyiDaily had reported about Thomas Orhionsefe Ewansiha who died in immigration detention camp after he was wrongfully arrested by Malaysian immigration officers during a recent raid in Amapuri.

Thomas was arrested and was taken to a deportation camp in Jalan Duta, despite having valid documents. He, however, died while the officers were verifying his paper ahead of his release, which led to a massive protest on Wednesday at the Malaysian embassy.

The Malaysian University of creative technology has confirmed the death of Thomas on its Twitter handle with a photograph of the deceased.

Thomas, born in 1985, and survived by a wife and two children, according to a report by the Malay Mail, died in detention after a raid by the Malaysian immigration department.

“It is with the deepest regret that we report the demise of Orhions Ewansiha Thomas. Pursuing his PhD in management, Mr Thomas was an inspired young man.

“All of us at Limkokwing University wish to express our heartfelt wishes of love and support to all affected,” the institution said in its tweet.

The school announced, according to the report, that activities in the institution had been suspended till Monday, July 15.

The decision to suspend classes, the university said, was in memory of the late Thomas, and not because of rumours of any planned protest over the incident.

The report, however, said the Malaysian immigration department also confirmed on Friday, July 12, that the deceased was detained recently after he attempted to flee during a raid in Kuala Lumpur on July 4.

Despite having a valid student pass, Thomas was detained, because the officers claimed they were suspicious of his attempt to flee.

The immigration department claimed that Thomas told them he was not suffering from any illness at the time of his detention with 14 others and that an old wound of his was treated.

The attention of an officer on duty was later called around 12.05am on July 9, by the other detainees that Thomas was having seizure in his sleep.

The immigration department said he died at 12.30am after a failed effort to medically handle the situation.

A full autopsy is currently being awaited by the immigration department to ascertain the cause of his death.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *