KanyiDaily presents a breakdown of the N10.7 trillion 2020 budget presented by President Muhammadu Buhari to lawmakers at the National Assembly (NASS).
During the presentation on Tuesday, October 8, 2019, President Buhari expressed confidence that with the commitment of the 9th National Assembly, the deliberations on the 2020 Budget shall be completed before the end of 2019 so that the Appropriation Act will come into effect by the 1st of January.
The president also said the budget would focus on completing projects that have been carried over from 2019.
Some of the key capital spending allocations in the 2020 Budget include:
- Works and Housing: N262 billion;
- Power: N127 billion;
- Transportation: N123 billion;
- Universal Basic Education Commission: N112 billion;
- Defence: N100 billion;
- Zonal Intervention Projects: N100 billion;
- Agriculture and Rural Development: N83 billion;
- Water Resources: N82 billion;
- Niger Delta Development Commission: N81 billion;
- Education: N48 billion;
- Health: N46 billion;
- Industry, Trade and Investment: N40 billion;
- North East Development Commission: N38 billion;
- Interior: N35 billion;
- Social Investment Programmes: N30 billion;
- Federal Capital Territory: N28 billion; and
- Niger Delta Affairs Ministry: N24 billion.
Meanwhile, presenting the 2020 Budget, President Buhari disclosed that he is suffering from cold, which he complained affected his voice because he is working hard work.