The Department of State Services (DSS) claims President Muhammadu Buhari was the one who ordered the unlawful arrest and detention of a young Nigerian businessman based in Asaba, Delta State, Anthony Okolie.
The businessman had earlier revealed that DSS officials informed him that Hanan ordered his arrest and that she was contacted three times to back up her claims but failed to show up, prompting the secret police to release the young businessman.
Okolie subsequently dragged Hanan, MTN and DSS before a Federal High Court in Asaba, Delta State, over the violation of his fundamental human rights.
During the hearing before Justice Dimgba on February 12, 2020, Hanan did not oppose Okolie’s claims contained in an affidavit.
However, Hanan through her lawyer, admitted that the MTN SIM card, which caused the dispute, was once used by her, but she said she did not order the DSS to unlawfully arrest and detain Okolie for 10 weeks.
According to Sahara Reporters, DSS has now revealed that it received official letter of instruction from the Presidency dated July 5, 2019 upon which it acted to arrest Okolie.
In an affidavit deposited at the Court, DSS said Okolie’s purchase and use of the MTN mobile telephone line formerly belonging to Hanan, was a “classified national security issue” upon which basis the security outfit had no option than to arrest Okolie.
Reacting to the latest development, Okolie’s lawyer, Tope Akinyode, National President of Revolutionary Lawyer’s Forum, said:
“The Nigerian constitution made no provision of any kind for first family and the involvement of the Presidency in the matter was a disgraceful deployment of state apparatus for personal gains.”
Meanwhile, MTN has argued that it did not transfer absolute right of ownership of the SIM card to Okolie because it was a national asset, which cannot be personalised.
The matter is scheduled to come up on March 3 before Justice Nnamdi Dimgba for hearing.