The US Embassy to Nigeria disclosed this in response to an email by PUNCH on Friday, where it specifically said it was assisting Nigeria through the International Organisation for Migration.
“The US government assists the Government of Nigeria’s Disarmament, Demobilisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration programme through the International Organisation for Migration – which supports Nigeria’s Operation Safe Corridor programme to carry out DDRR of repentant and eligible ex-combatants who were formerly affiliated with a terrorist organisation,” the email partly reads.
Although the 601 repentant terrorists who recently graduated from Operation Safe Corridor in Gombe State had not yet been re-integrated into society, the US said the ex-Boko Haram fighters would be reintegrated in batches in the near future.
“According to our understanding, 601 individuals who were formerly affiliated with a terrorist organisation recently graduated from Operation Safe Corridor last month following successful completion of the de-radicalisation and rehabilitation programme in Gombe Camp.
“We understand that these men have not been released to communities yet and are still awaiting transfer to a rehabilitation centre in Maiduguri. They are to be transferred in batches in the very near future.
“The United States has supported Nigeria’s efforts toward effective disarmament, demobilisation, and reintegration of former affiliates as an important element of the broader joint Nigerian and US strategy to counter violent extremism.”
A large section of Nigerians had condemned the plan of the Federal Government to reintegrate repentant terrorists into society while millions of victims of terrorism remain displaced.
KanyiDaily recalled that Borno State Senator, Ali Ndume had also condemned the idea. He revealed that one of the repentant Boko Haram terrorists recently disappeared after killing and robbing his father.