A statement on Sunday in Minna by Azeez Sani, Head, of Information and Public Relations Division of the council said the decision was reached at the meeting held on Thursday, 22nd October, 2020.
He said: ”arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE(Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country”.
The statement explained that “In making this decision, the Board noted that due to these security challenges: Some state governments imposed curfew and closed schools in order to safeguard lives and property”;
“In the circumstances, it has become difficult for the Council to move examination materials across the country; Students in the affected locations were unable to sit for the papers already scheduled in the examination time table” the statement explained further.
Ma’am Sani in the statement disclosed that “the Governing Board further resolved, that when normalcy returns, the Council will continue with the conduct of the examinations in all States”.
While regretting any inconveniences this postponement may cause all stakeholders,he said the Council has taken this decision in order to maintain the integrity and security of its examination procedures for seamless conduct of the Council’s examination.
KanyiDaily recalls that NECO had previously postponed its examination scheduled to begin on October 19, 2020, due to the #EndSARS protests against the extrajudicial activities of the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) across the country.