Makolomi filmed and uploaded the viral video which shows how SARS officials allegedly shot a young man, left him for dead, and escaped with his vehicle – a white Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle.
The video sparked an outrage on the social media, with many Nigerians condemning the police action and calling for urgent reform, before exploding into #EndSARS protests.
Makolomi was subsequently arrested by the police who threatened to prosecute him for allegedly inciting violence and distributing false information contrary to the cyber law,
After few days in custody, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, and the Ughelli North council chairman, Chief Godwin Adode, for facilitated his release.
On Tuesday, Makolomi’s consel, Ekenemolise Osifo, raised alarm that his client has been re-arrested after the Federal High Court had ruled against Makolomi initial arrest and detention.
Osifo described his re-arrest as a gross violation of the rule of law, disregard for the courts and the judiciary by the Nigeria Police.
“Prince Nicholas Makolomi actually recorded an injustice being perpetuated and like what every right thinking Nigerian citizen would do, uploaded it to bring the attention of the public to police brutality.
“Considering the present insecurities and lawlessness in the country, the baseless and unjustified act by the police to cover their inefficiency is an unnecessary distraction and mediocre instead of facing the actual issue and truth is totally disgraceful and unwarranted.
“What aggravated the police to the re-arrest him was the fact that Makolomi brought the attention of the police to another act of unlawful extortion conducted by one SP Sunday Nwaja who requested for N500,000 to grant him soft landing.
“To cover up for their lack of discipline to investigate the extortion issue, the police cunningly withdrew the pending matter from the court and re-arrested him.
“We want his unconditional release and the stoppage of further harassment of Prince Nicholas Makolomi . The police should respect and decision of the Federal High Court ruling in Asaba on November 24, 2020, which declared his earlier arrest and detention illegal.”
Osifo said the victim had been taken to an undisclosed location and not allowed access to his medication being a chronic ulcer and asthmatic patient.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, said, “That’s what I heard, but I’m not aware, as I speak to you now, I’m in Enugu for PPRO workshop.”
KanyiDaily recalls that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, had declared that nobody can stop the Federal Government from prosecuting #EndSARS protesters.