Categories: Celebrities

“Baba Ijesha Will Remain In Custody Till Court Workers Resume” – Lagos CP To Yomi Fabiyi

Embattled Nollywood actor,  Baba Ijesha, who was arrested for allegedly molesting a minor, will remain in custody till when Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) end their ongoing strike.

This was made known by Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, while addressing Nollywood actor, Yomi Fabiyi, who staged a protest against the continued detention of Baba Ijesha.

KanyiDaily recalls that Baba Ijesha, a 48-year-old Yoruba actor, was arrested for allegedly defiling a 14-year-old girl since the past 7 years, who happens to be the foster daughter of Popular comedian, Princess.

Yomi had led a protest at Panti Police Station on Wednesday, demanding that Baba Ijesha should be released from detention pending when a court would hear his case.

Reacting to the protest, the police commissioner said Baba Ijesha’s continuous detention will be reviewed when the JUSUN strike come to an end.

He noted that Baba Ijesha has been held in custody based on legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions in the state Ministry of Justice and after a prima facie case had been established against him.

“When they got the SCIID today (Wednesday), they were advised by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the SCIID, and he told them that we have done our work and sought legal advice from the Ministry of Justice and the advice was that we should still keep him in our custody,” Odumosu said.

“When we concluded our investigation, we forwarded our report to the ministry for legal advice. The ministry advised us through the Office of the Public Defender. The legal advice was that there was a prima facie case established against him and some sections of the law were quoted in the advice. So, the advice was that he should still remain in our custody and to be charged for that.”

Odumosu also disclosed that the ministry might review its stance on Baba Ijesha’s detention if the JUSUN strike continues to linger.

KanyiDaily recalls that JUSUN had on April 6 embarked on a nationwide strike in protest of the non-implementation of financial autonomy for the judiciary.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

“We Dated The Same Woman” — Blaqbonez Speaks On Feud With Odumodublvck

Nigerian rapper Blaqbonez has spoken about his long-running dispute with fellow rapper Odumodublvck, explaining that…

1 hour ago

Military Retirees Protest Delayed Pension Adjustments In Abuja

Retired military personnel on Wednesday protested in Abuja over “non-implementation of consequential adjustments to their…

2 hours ago

“I Never Cheated On Bella” – BBNaija’s Sheggz Confirms Breakup

Former Big Brother Naija housemate Segun Olusemo, popularly known as Sheggz, has confirmed that his…

3 hours ago

Atiku Is Too Old To Contest 2027 Election, He’s Like Biden – Ayo Fayose

Former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose said ex+Vice President Atiku Abubakar is too old to…

4 hours ago

Daddy Freeze Distances Himself From KC Luxury After Arrest Over Cocaine Possession

Media personality Daddy Freeze has denied having any personal relationship with Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly…

5 hours ago

Angelique Kidjo Becomes First African Musician To Get Hollywood Star

Beninese music legend Angélique Kidjo has made history by becoming the first African musician and…

7 hours ago