Babagana Zulum Announces N1bn Emergency Relief For ‘Monday Market’ Fire Victims
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has announced an emergency relief of one billion naira to provide urgent support to victims of the Maiduguri Monday Market inferno, pending the assessment of the incident.
Kanyi Daily had reported that properties worth millions of naira were on Sunday morning consumed by a raging inferno at the Maiduguri Monday Market.
The fire incident left many traders distraught as their properties were destroyed in the disaster.
Governor Babagana Zulum’s Spokesman, Malam Isa Gusau in a statement, said Zulum made a broadcast soon after he had visited the scene of the incident and had mobilized armed forces to secure the area to prevent the breakdown of law and order.
Below are Babagana Zulum’s words which he made in Kanuri and Hausa languages:
“My fellow people of Borno State,
We woke up today with a very sad and unfortunate fire disaster at the Maiduguri Monday market. This is very unfortunate but we believe that this is decreed by Allah. Inna lillahi Wa inna ilayhi raajiun.
I feel deeply pained by this incident and I know how painful it is for anyone to work hard over years to build his or her business but end up losing that investment in seconds. I really feel the pain of everyone affected by this incident.
I commiserate with all of you. I kindly and most respectfully urge you to be calm and patient. I know how bad you feel and insha’Allah, the Borno State Government is already taking the following measures to ameliorate the situation:
1. I have approved the release of one billion naira as emergency relief for us to quickly support victims of the disaster because we know that some of them may even have difficulty of surviving the next few days. Many rely on daily businesses in order to cater to themselves.
2. We are setting up an assessment committee that will comprise respectable individuals from our society including representatives of the victims, for us to speedily assess damages, and take a comprehensive list of those affected and their loses. I will also be holding meetings with the leadership of the market and representatives of victims.
3. I am going to see Mr. President and seek presidential intervention on how to get support for victims.
4. We will also reach out to other humanitarian establishments to seek help.
5. Insha’Allah, we will be taking firm measures towards preventing the reoccurrence of this fire disaster that has occurred in previous years.
I will like to respectfully appeal to everyone for calmness. I know how you feel. I feel your pain and we will support you through whatever means we can, insha’Allah.
In the meantime, I urge us not to politicize this unfortunate incident. I recognize that the incident is happening at a political time, but we all know the Monday market has unfortunately faced fire disasters in previous times and this is sad. We have to find ways of ensuring this unfortunate fire disaster does not happen again and we will work together to ensure this, bi iznillah”
In other news, Kanyi Daily reported that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) Chairman in Rivers State, Senator Lee Maeba has delivered all the polling units in his community for the presidential candidate of his party, Atiku Abubakar.