Sanwo-Olu Visits Victims Of Bus/Train Accident In Lagos As Death Toll Rises To Six
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has visited the victims of Thursday morning’s accident involving a BRT bus and a train.
KanyiDaily had earlier reported that two people died and many others injured after a train crashed a Lagos state government staff bus in the Shogunle area of Oshodi.
It was gathered that the bus was attempting to cross the rail track when an oncoming train rammed into it and dragged the vehicle from Shogunle to the PWD area of Ikeja.
A spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency in Lagos, Ibrahim Farinloye confirmed that two female staff of the state government died in the accident.
Many passengers who were injured in the accident were taken to the trauma centre of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).
Death Toll From Train-Bus Accident Now Six
Speaking with journalists at LASUTH on Thurda, Governor Sanwo-Olu revealed that four more victims were confirmed dead at the hospital.
The governor said blood donors are needed for the victims while he called on Lagos residents to come to their aid.
Meanwhile, Fidet Okhiria, managing director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), said the driver is to be blamed for the accident.
“According to the information I gathered at the scene of the incident, they said many cars stopped when they got to the level crossing while the Lagos State Staff Bus driver continued moving, which I don’t know why,” the NRC boss said.
“Maybe the driver thought he could pass before the train got nearer to him. He could not pass, and then the train crushed the bus; that is what we gathered. The train was coming from Ijoko to Iddo.”
KanyiDaily recalls that a video circulating on social media showed LASUTH staff laying foam in an open space to treat the victims of the bus/train accident on the floor outside the hospital.