Categories: Metro

Kano Hisbah Arrests 25 People For Eating And Selling Food During Ramadan Fasting Hours

Kano Hisbah Board has arrested 25 Muslims for allegedly eating, drinking, and selling food in public during the daytime hours of Ramadan.

Mujahideen Abubakar, the board’s deputy commander general of operations, told the BBC that the arrests were part of an ongoing operation that started on Saturday and will continue until the end of Ramadan.

Abubakar clarified that the board’s actions do not target non-Muslims, emphasizing that any form of disrespect for the holy month would not be tolerated.

It is important to note that we don’t concern ourselves with non-Muslims — any disrespect for Ramadan would not be condoned,” he said.

He revealed that 20 people were arrested for not fasting, while five others were apprehended for selling food during fasting hours.

According to him, the board often receives complaints from residents about people violating the fast, prompting swift action from Hisbah officers.

He said, “It’s heart-breaking that in such a holy month meant for fasting, adult Muslims would be seen eating and drinking publicly. We won’t condone that and that’s why we went out to make arrests.

“20 people had been arrested for not fasting and five for selling food. We do get calls from people who are enraged after seeing people eating in public and we act fast by going to the area to make arrests.”

Abubakar added that all 25 suspects have been charged in a Sharia court and will face appropriate penalties.

Fasting during Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam, making it a religious obligation for Muslims. However, certain groups such as the sick, pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, travelers, menstruating women, and the elderly who are physically unable to fast are exempt.

The Kano Hisbah Board is tasked with upholding Islamic moral standards in the state. The agency is known for enforcing religious laws, including banning mannequins in shops, destroying alcoholic beverages, and arresting unmarried couples found together in hotels.

KanyiDaily recalls that the Kano State Government recently set aside N2.5 billion to fund quarterly mass weddings across its 44 local government areas in 2025.

 

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Tinubu Wins APC Presidential Primary With 10.9m Votes Ahead Of 2027 Elections

President Bola Tinubu has emerged as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

1 hour ago

“He Wanted To Sleep With Me” – Phyna Speaks On Fallout With VeryDarkMan [Video]

Big Brother Naija reality star, Phyna, has accused social media critic VeryDarkMan of damaging her…

2 hours ago

Kayode Are Begins Role As Nigeria’s Ambassador To US, Presents Credentials To Trump [Photos]

Kayode Are, a former director-general of the Department of State Services (DSS), has began his…

2 hours ago

“I Married Her At 22” – Yul Edochie Speaks On His Marriage To Ex-Wife May Edochie

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has revealed how he first met his estranged wife, May Edochie.…

3 hours ago

“We Rαped Her Before Beheading” – Killer Of Imo Nursing Student Wendy Achumba

The youths of Umuadara in Umulogho, Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State, have apprehended…

4 hours ago

Man Utd Captain Bruno Fernandes Named Premier League Player Of The Season

Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season for the 2025/26 campaign…

24 hours ago