Justice Chizoba Orji, who presided over the hearing on Thursday, ruled that the senator must provide one surety who must own property in Abuja and be a responsible resident of the Federal Capital Territory.
The case has been adjourned until September 23, 2025, for trial to begin.
The Federal Government had earlier arraigned Natasha Akpoti on three counts, accusing her of making damaging claims against Senate President Godswill Akpabio and former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello.
During the court session, there was a strong presence of security personnel. Akpoti-Uduaghan was accompanied by her husband, former Minister of Education Oby Ezekwesili, activist Aisha Yesufu, and several supporters.
According to the charges, the government claims that the senator knowingly made statements that could harm the reputations of Akpabio and Bello, which violates Section 391 of the Penal Code and is punishable under Section 392.
One of the charges is based on a television interview where Akpoti-Uduaghan reportedly accused the Senate President and Yahaya Bello of plotting to assassinate her.
Natasha allegedly said Akpabio had met with Bello and discussed plans to “eliminate” her. She also questioned why her security was withdrawn, claiming it was done to make her vulnerable to attack.
Another charge involves a phone conversation dated March 27, 2025, in which the senator reportedly made similar allegations during a call with one Sandra C. Duru in Abuja.
The prosecution revealed that both Akpabio and Bello are expected to serve as witnesses in the case.
Akpoti-Uduaghan has denied all the allegations and pleaded not guilty to each count.
KanyiDaily recalls that on Monday, the court dismissed a request by the Federal Government to order the arrest of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan after she failed to attend her defamation trial.
Nigerian hypeman Fisayo Michael, popularly known as MC Fish, has opened up about the reasons…
Siminalayi Fubara, the governor of Rivers State, has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC)…
Femi Otedola, chairman of First HoldCo, said he plans to invest $100 million in the…
Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham has decried the growing cases of killings and kidnappings in Oyo…
Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez has unveiled his squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup,…
Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Surulere…