Categories: World News

Trump Announces Two-Week Ceasefire As Iran Agrees To Reopen Hormuz Strait

United States President Donald Trump has agreed to suspend his military strike on Iran for two weeks after a last-minute diplomatic effort led by Pakistan.

The temporary pause is tied to Iran’s agreement to reopen the Strait of Hormuz for safe passage.

The decision came just hours after Trump warned of severe consequences if Tehran failed to meet his demands.

On Tuesday evening, the US president announced on Truth Social that he was stepping back from the planned bombing.

Trump said the move followed talks with Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Asim Munir, who appealed for more time to allow diplomacy to continue.

He explained that the suspension would only remain in place if Iran fully, immediately, and safely reopened the Strait of Hormuz.

Based on conversations with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Asim Munir, of Pakistan, and wherein they requested that I hold off the destructive force being sent tonight to Iran, and subject to the Islamic Republic of Iran agreeing to the COMPLETE, IMMEDIATE, and SAFE OPENING of the Strait of Hormuz, I agree to suspend the bombing and attack of Iran for a period of two weeks,” Trump wrote.

He described the arrangement as a two-sided ceasefire, adding that the US believes it has already achieved its key military goals and is now close to reaching a broader long-term peace agreement with Iran and the wider Middle East.

This will be a double sided CEASEFIRE!” Trump wrote. “The reason for doing so is that we have already met and exceeded all Military objectives, and are very far along with a definitive Agreement concerning Longterm PEACE with Iran, and PEACE in the Middle East.

“We received a 10 point proposal from Iran, and believe it is a workable basis on which to negotiate.”

“Almost all of the various points of past contention have been agreed to between the United States and Iran, but a two week period will allow the Agreement to be finalized and consummated.”

Soon after Trump’s announcement, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi confirmed that a temporary understanding had been reached.

He said Iran’s armed forces would stop their defensive actions if attacks on the country were halted.

If attacks against Iran are halted, our Powerful Armed Forces will cease their defensive operations,” Araghchi wrote.

For a period of two weeks, safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz will be possible via coordination with Iran’s Armed Forces and with due consideration of technical limitations.”

Iran also acknowledged Pakistan’s role in helping to prevent the strike at the last minute.

Reports suggest more negotiations are expected to take place in Islamabad in the coming weeks as both sides work toward a more lasting settlement.

The development followed an urgent diplomatic push by Pakistan, which stepped in shortly before Trump’s deadline expired, helping to avoid what could have become a major escalation in the conflict.

This comes after Donald Trump warned that Iran’s civilization could be wiped out overnight if no agreement is reached.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Man Utd Captain Bruno Fernandes Named Premier League Player Of The Season

Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season for the 2025/26 campaign…

1 hour ago

Sheikh Gumi Denies Supporting Bandits, Says Videos And Statements Were Manipulated

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has denied claims linking him to support for banditry, saying the materials…

2 hours ago

Justice Mohammed Nasir Yunusa Slumps And Dies At His Residence In Kano

Justice Mohammed Nasir Yunusa of the Federal High Court in Kano has died after collapsing…

2 hours ago

Tobi Amusan Sets Season’s Best Time To Finish Second At Xiamen Diamond League

Nigerian sprinter Tobi Amusan finished second in the women’s 100m hurdles final at the Xiamen…

3 hours ago

Queen Mercy Atang Reveals Why She Wore Dress Made Of 500 Loaves Of Bread To AMVCA

Big Brother Naija reality star Queen Mercy Atang has explained the idea behind the unusual…

3 hours ago

Basira Beere Accuses Ex-Husband Of Beating Her Till She Lost 4 Pregnancies [Video]

Nollywood actress Omoshalewa Yusuf, popularly known as Basira Beere, has spoken about her failed marriage,…

4 hours ago