President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Mr. Mele Kolo Kyari to replace Maikanti Baru as the Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
This appointment is coming less than 24-hours after the President confirmed the reappointment of Ahmed Idris, as the Accountant General of the Federation.
The President also appointed alongside Kyari, seven new Chief Operating Officers to the corporation, according to a release by the NNPC Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu today.
The newly appointed Chief Operating Officers are:
1. Mr. Roland Onoriode Ewubare (South-South) – Chief Operating Officer, Upstream.
2. Engr. Mustapha Yinusa Yakubu (North Central) – Chief Operating Officer, Refining and Petrochemicals.
3. Engr. Yusuf Usman (North East) – Chief Operating Officer, Gas and Power.
4. Ms. Lawrencia Nwadiabuwa Ndupu (South East), Chief Operating Officer, Ventures.
5. Mr. Umar Isa Ajiya (North West) – Chief Financial Officer
6. Engr. Adeyemi Adetunji (South West) – Chief Operating Officer, Downstream
7. Mr. Farouk Garba Said (North West) – Chief Operating Officer, Corporate Services.
Ughamadu noted that the new GMD and the others appointed would work alongside the existing officers in the same position until 7th of July 2019.
“President Muhammadu Buhari has directed that the New GMD and the newly appointed COOs work with the current occupiers of the various offices till 7th July 2019 towards a smooth transition on 8th July 2019 when their appointments would take effect to ensure a smooth transition.
“However, the appointment of Mr. Farouk Garba Said (North West), who is replacing a retiring Chief Operating Officer, is effective from 28th June 2019,” Ughamadu said.
Until his new appointment, Kyari, a geologist, was Group General Manager, Crude Oil Marketing Division of NNPC and also doubled, since 13 May 2018, as Nigeria’s representative to the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC.