Suspected political thugs alleged to be working for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) attacked the secretariat of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Lokoja, the capital of the state, burning down the building.
The election violence happened in the early hours of Monday, November 11, ahead of the governorship election slated by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for November 16, 2019.
According to The Nation, the affected secretariat of the party is located close to the Lokoja local government secretariat.
It was learnt that the suspected thugs had earlier vandalized the doors and windows of the secretariat and also vandalized were banners, posters and some campaign materials, before setting the building on fire.
"use strict"; var adace_load_6a1372a2aa031 = function(){ var viewport = $(window).width(); var tabletStart = 601; var landscapeStart = 801; var tabletEnd = 961; var content = '%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22adace_adsense_6a1372a2a9e8b%22%3E%3Cscript%20async%20src%3D%22%2F%2Fpagead2.googlesyndication.com%2Fpagead%2Fjs%2Fadsbygoogle.js%22%3E%3C%2Fscript%3E%0A%09%09%3Cins%20class%3D%22adsbygoogle%22%0A%09%09style%3D%22display%3Ablock%3B%22%0A%09%09data-ad-client%3D%22ca-pub-2233808518455682%22%0A%09%09data-ad-slot%3D%221717524128%22%0A%09%09data-ad-format%3D%22auto%22%0A%09%09%3E%3C%2Fins%3E%0A%09%09%3Cscript%3E%28adsbygoogle%20%3D%20window.adsbygoogle%20%7C%7C%20%5B%5D%29.push%28%7B%7D%29%3B%3C%2Fscript%3E%3C%2Fdiv%3E'; var unpack = true; if(viewport=tabletStart && viewport=landscapeStart && viewport=tabletStart && viewport=tabletEnd){ if ($wrapper.hasClass('.adace-hide-on-desktop')){ $wrapper.remove(); } } if(unpack) { $self.replaceWith(decodeURIComponent(content)); } } if($wrapper.css('visibility') === 'visible' ) { adace_load_6a1372a2aa031(); } else { //fire when visible. var refreshIntervalId = setInterval(function(){ if($wrapper.css('visibility') === 'visible' ) { adace_load_6a1372a2aa031(); clearInterval(refreshIntervalId); } }, 999); }
})(jQuery);
Confirming the incident while speaking on phone with Daily Sun, the state chairman of the party, Mouktar Atima, pointed accusing fingers at the ruling party (APC) which he accused of “releasing their boys to unleash terror on our party.”
Atima said the development was a confirmation of the several threats received recently by the party’s candidate, Natasha Akpoti.
He said no amount of harrassment and destruction will deter the party and its governorship candidate from contesting and winning the Saturday, November 16, election; saying they remain undaunted, even as he appealed to party faithful not to be discouraged over the recent development.
In his reaction, APC campaign council spokeman Kingsley Fanwo dispelled the allegation that the hoodlums that burnt down the SDP secretariat were sponsored by the ruling party.
According to him, the party and its candidate are currently busy campaigning across the state and “has no time for irrelevant issues.”
When contacted, the state police commissioner, Hakeem Busari, said the police were already aware of the destruction and stressed that investigations have already commenced to bring the culprits to book.
President Bola Tinubu has emerged as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…
Big Brother Naija reality star, Phyna, has accused social media critic VeryDarkMan of damaging her…
Kayode Are, a former director-general of the Department of State Services (DSS), has began his…
Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has revealed how he first met his estranged wife, May Edochie.…
The youths of Umuadara in Umulogho, Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State, have apprehended…
Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season for the 2025/26 campaign…