The Bureau of the Boards of Governors of the African Development Bank (AfDB) has debunked reports that it has asked the Bank’s president, Akinwumi Adesina, to resign and face a fresh probe.
KanyiDaily recalls that the United States had on May 22, 2020, sent AfDB’s board a letter expressing “deep reservations” about the allegations by whistleblowers of alleged embezzlement and favouritism under Adesina, who is bidding for a second five-year term at the bank.
Bloomberg, had reported on Wednesday, that the board agreed to an independent investigation in line with demands from Steven Mnuchin, the US treasury secretary.
However, in a statement on Thursday, the Board’s chairman, Madame Niale Kaba said they have not reached a decision on a request by the US to carry out an independent investigation into allegations of favouritism against Adesina.
“On Tuesday, May 26, the office of the board of governors of the African Development Bank Group held a meeting to examine the matter arising from a complaint from the board of directors of the bank, and about that which I received from some shareholders expressing different points of view,” she said in the statement.
“The office which I chair wishes to reassure the public that it has taken up the matter and is treating it with the greatest rigour and with all the seriousness that it deserves.
“However, the office informs the public that no decision has been made as falsely conveyed in some publications,” Haa
“Everyone must allow the Office to do its work and let the process of examining this case to take its course. The opinion of all the governors will be sought for its successful outcome.”
Meanwhile, Former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo has faulted the demand by the United States Treasury to probe Akinwunmi Adesina, who had earlier been cleared of all allegations by an investigative body.