The Federal Government is set to release a total of 603 repentant Boko Haram terrorists back to their communities in July having completed the Deradicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) programme.
This was made known by the spokesperson of Defence Headquarters, Major-General John Enenche, while giving update on Armed Forces of Nigeria operations at a news conference on Thursday in Abuja.
Enenche said the DRR programme under Operation Safe Corridor (OPSC) had recorded tremendous success judging from the feedback from previous trainees.
ALSO READ: Repentant Bandits Invades Zamfara Community, Loot Food Items, Give Residents N20,000
He added that OPSC had admitted 893 ex-combatants for the programme out of which 280 including two Chadians had been successfully reintegrated back into the society through their respective national and state authorities.
“Presently, there are 603 of them undergoing the DRR programme and would be graduating by July 2020,” he said.
“The operation is a success story as feedback from those reintegrated are positive.
“A particular one in Bama who learnt barbing as a vocation has successfully empowered four locals and is happily married with children.”
Enenche said that the concept of OPSC was that of a unique non-kinetic operation aimed at giving hope to ex-combatants who willingly give up their arms to embrace peace.
He emphasised that the operation was guided by among other provisions such as International Humanitarian and Human Rights Laws.
This is coming on the heel of a new video released by Boko Haram showing the execution of a soldier and a police officer who were abducted while travelling between Maiduguri and Monguno in Borno State.