The Federal Government said it was considering asking students to sit for the General Certificate Examination (GCE) instead of the West African Examination Council (WAEC).

COVID-19: Federal Government Reveals Exam Nigerian Students May Write Instead Of WAEC 3

The minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, disclosed this on Thursday, July 23, 2020, during the briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 in Abuja.

Nwajuiba said the government is working out a negotiated timetable with the WAEC to move local language subjects such as Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa, behind from their usual spots as first written subjects.

According to him, “this would be to allow all participating countries the needed time to write the general subjects at the same time if Nigeria is able to meet up with the WAEC timetable.”

READ:  A Controlling Woman Lists 22 Things Her Boyfriend Is Banned From Doing And Made Him Sign It

The Minister said the government will work out a ‘domestication module’ that will take “our peculiar subjects behind after we have done general (subjects).

“This will buy us the time we need for all of us to be at par with the rest of West Africa and operating at the same time because the unanimity with which WAEC has always worked is still very important to us.”

However, if Nigeria fail to meet up with the WAEC timetable, the minister said Nigerian students would go for the General Certificate Examination (GCE) holding in November.

READ:  Portable Uses His New G-Wagon To Share Food Items To Kids On The Street [Video]

Nwajuiba said many States in Nigeria have complained about their inability to meet up with the date and that was why the Federal government requested WAEC give the country and the schools some time to meet up.

KanyiDaily recalls that the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu had declared that Nigerian schools would not be reopened until the COVID-19 pandemic drastically subsides.

Adamu also said Nigerian students would not participate in Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE) scheduled to commence on August 4, 2020.

READ:  Oyetola Took N18bn Loan After Election Loss, It Will Take 28 Years To Repay Dept - Adeleke

News1 day ago