KanyiDaily recalls that the police had on Sunday announced that the 19-year-old suspected serial killer had escaped from their custody while undergoing trial on August 11, 2020.
Speaking on Monday, the Commissioner of Police, Oyo State Command, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, revealed that two policemen had been arrested over the escape.
He disclosed this when the chairman Mr Ademola Babalola led members of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), Oyo State Council to Enwonwu to protest Shodipe’s escape on Monday evening.
The journalists demanded explanation on how such a suspected criminal escaped without any punitive action taken on those culpable among men and officers of the command.
Enwonwu, who welcomed Babalola and his team to his office, disclosed that an inspector and one other officer, whose identities he failed to reveal, have been arrested, saying they were currently undergoing orderly room trial.
He said the proceedings for their involvement had started yesterday morning, assuring reporters and the public that there would be no cover-up.
Enwonwu, during the meeting with Oyo NUJ, assured people of Oyo State that the police would do everything to ensure the re-arrest of the suspect.
”We will do everything to ensure that Oyo State is crime-free,” he said.
KanyiDaily had reported that the escape of the suspect attracted several condemnations from many citizens in the community after a fresh murder was suspected to be committed by the same killer in the Akinyele area of Ibadan.