Read Barack Obama’s statement on Derek Chauvin’s guilty verdict

Former US President Barack Obama has released a statement on the guilty verdict handed to US police officer Derek Chauvin who has been found guilty of murder in the death of George Floyd, the African-American man killed by a police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Read Barack Obama's statement on Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict 5

Reacting to the guilty verdict by the jury in the case against Derek Chauvin, former President Obama said ”a jury in Mineapolis did the right thing”.

The 12 jurors found Derek Chauvin guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in George Floyd’s death in May 2020.

Read the full statement below:

Today, a jury in Minneapolis did the right thing.

For almost a year, George Floyd’s death under the knee of a police officer has reverberated around the world — inspiring murals and marches, sparking conversations in living rooms and new legislation. But a more basic question has always remained: would justice be done?

In this case, at least, we have our answer. But if we’re being honest with ourselves, we know that true justice is about much more than a single verdict in a single trial.

True justice requires that we come to terms with the fact that Black Americans are treated differently, every day. It requires us to recognize that millions of our friends, family, and fellow citizens live in fear that their next encounter with law enforcement could be their last. And it requires us to do the sometimes thankless, often difficult, but always necessary work of making the America we know more like the America we believe in.

Read Barack Obama's statement on Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict 6

While today’s verdict may have been a necessary step on the road to progress, it was far from a sufficient one. We cannot rest. We will need to follow through with the concrete reforms that will reduce and ultimately eliminate racial bias in our criminal justice system. We will need to redouble efforts to expand economic opportunity for those communities that have been too long marginalized.
And as we continue the fight, we can draw strength from the millions of people — especially young people — who have marched and protested and spoken up over the last year, shining a light on inequity and calling for change. Justice is closer today not simply because of this verdict, but because of their work.

Michelle and I send our prayers to the Floyd family, in the hopes that they may find peace. And we stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all those who are committed to guaranteeing every American the full measure of justice that George and so many others have been denied.

Spotify’s refreshed ‘New Music Friday Naija’ spotlights Nigeria's rising stars 7
Business20 hours ago