Categories: Metro

I Saw Hell In Hands Of Abba Kyari, He Forced Me To Accept Being A Kidnapper – Evans

Suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, popularly known as Evans, has denied being a kidnapper, saying he was forced to accept being a criminal by the suspended head of the Intelligence Response Team, DCP Abba Kyari.

Evans Dies Being A Kidnapper

KanyiDaily had reported that Evans is standing trial at Ikeja Special Offences Court alongside an ex-soldier, Victor Aduba, on a four-count charge of kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms.

While under cross-examination by the Lagos State government’s prosecutor, Mr Yusuf Sule, on Friday, February 4, Evans denied kidnapping a businessman, Sylvanus Ahamonu, and collecting a $420,000 ransom from his family.

At the proceedings on Friday, Evans told the court that he was born on April 22, 1980 and is from Nnewi, Anambra. He vehemently denied knowing Ahamonu prior to seeing him after his arrest.

When the prosecutor noted that Ahamonu had identified him when he testified virtually (via the Zoom app) in court, Evans said he was easily identifiable.

The defendant said, “I do not know Slyvanus Ahamonu, I only met him in the IG’s (Inspector-General of Police) Guest House at Falomo. One day at the IG Guest House, the police brought some documents and asked me to sign, I asked what the documents are for, but they didn’t answer me.

“They said that if I don’t cooperate with them, they will kill me. When I refused, Inspector Philip asked them to take me to the back of the guest house. When I got there, they were pressing cigarette butts on my body.

“They killed about six persons in my presence, and I eventually signed the document; I was not allowed to read it. I think it is the document that was used to bring me to court.

“I do not know anything about the allegations before this court. I don’t know who Ahamonu is. I only met him at the IG’s guest house, I had not had any prior contact with him. Ahamonu and Idowu Haruna (the Investigating Police Officer) could have conspired.

“My pictures are everywhere, all over the world. Before my picture was everywhere, people knew who I was. I had a haulage and logistics business with over 30 staff and drivers in Amuwo-Odofin.”

The suspected kidnap kingpin also testified that he was tortured by the police, although he could not provide medical documents in proof of his claim to the court.

He explained that while he was incarcerated, he had filed a fundamental human rights suit at the Federal High Court in Lagos against the police over the alleged torture.

On why he was seen in a jovial mood in the video detailing his confession of the crimes to the police, Evans said he was forced to act in that manner by the police.

The defendant said, “The police told me to be laughing and smiling in the video. You do not know what I encountered in the hands of Abba Kyari and his boys. My eyes saw hell. It was what they told me to be doing that I was doing.”

Evans also told the court that no firearms were discovered in his home by the police.

After listening to Evans’ testimony, Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo adjourned the case till March 11 for the continuation of trial.

Earlier, Sylvanus and his wife, Chimebere Ahamonu, had testified virtually In December last year about how Evans and his gang kidnapped him on June 23, 2014, on Kara Road off Osolo Way in the Ajao Estate area of Lagos.

The couple narrated how they sold properties, borrowed money, raised funds from family and well-wishers in an attempt to raise the initial $2 million ransom that was allegedly demanded by Evans.

Sylvanus who said his hands and legs were chained throughout his two months in captivity said he was only released when the family paid Evans the $420,000 ransom.

He added that by the time, he was at the point of death.

KanyiDaily recalls that Evans had revealed that he estimated the financial worth of his kidnapped victims from their looks within a short distance.

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Nyesom Wike Orders Demolition Of Houses Blocking Waterways In Abuja

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses…

14 hours ago

Wande Coal Slams Davido Over Remarks About Their Unreleased Collaboration, “Come My Way”

Nigerian singer Wande Coal has reacted to Davido’s comments about their unreleased collaboration on the…

15 hours ago

DSS Invites Ekiti Monarch For Demanding Chair Governor Oyebanji Sat On At Church Service

The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Adeniyi Adeola…

17 hours ago

Jay-Jay Okocha Picks Lionel Messi Over Cristiano Ronaldo As Better Player

Nigerian football legend Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha has named Argentina star Lionel Messi as his…

18 hours ago

Taiwo Hassan Ogogo Battles Stage-Four Cancer As Daughters Seek Medical Help

The daughters of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, have appealed for…

20 hours ago

Man Breaks Into Woman’s House, Steals 27 Pants For Ritual Purposes In Adamawa

A 27-year-old man, Muktar Shehu, has been arraigned for allegedly breaking into a woman’s home…

2 days ago