Ondo state Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu has confirmed the arrest of five suspects linked to the deadly attack on St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo.
Owo Church Massacre
KanyiDaily had reported how some gunmen stormed the church on Sunday and killed no less than 40 worshipers, while 127 others sustained gunshot injuries.
The Federal Government claimed the Islamic States of West Africa Province (ISWAP) was behind the attack, but the terrorist group is yet to take credit for the attack like it usually does.
On Monday, August 9, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor announced that some of the Owo attackers had been arrested by the military in collaboration with other security agencies.
Governor Akeredolu confirmed the arrest of five of the killers in Akure on Tuesday.
He said, “I can confirm what the CDS has said. They were arrested last week and the photographs of the suspects were forwarded to me. About five of them have been arrested while they’re on the trail of others.”
KanyiDaily recalls that a funeral mass was recently held in honour of the worshippers killed during the Owo church attack.
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, and a former governor of the state, Olusegun Mimiko, were among the dignitaries present at the mass.